MESPT is offering an internship opportunity for a young university graduate interested in ICT System Administration. The purpose of this exercise is to provide an opportunity for the graduate to apply the academic skills acquired, in a real work environment, in the management and administration of the Virtual environment, Enterprise backup, Data Centre, Disaster recovery site, SharePoint domain services, Helpdesk system, software deployment & patch management.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Support the administration, maintenance, monitoring, and accessibility of all information systems including but not limited to; Servers (physical and virtual), Microsoft 365, SQL databases, financial systems, Administration systems, staff portal, cloud applications and other IT systems that support MESPT Operations
- Assist in Administering and managing user accounts including remote and mobile device users. Assist in Creating and assigning appropriate system roles and system access permissions as defined and signed-off by the business.
- Contribute to resolving system administration and support requests raised on the helpdesk.
- Collaborating and supporting various programmes in their digitization projects.
- Assist in training end users on various systems and preparing end user training materials in form of videos or standard operating procedures.
- Maintain a high level of internal and external customer satisfaction and product quality.
- Assist to build and run cloud infrastructure and services primarily in a hybrid on-premises/Azure cloud environment.
- Contribute to resolving support issues with a focus on root cause analysis to reduce recurring issues.
- Assist in providing solutions to technical issues or requests which could involve developing a work-around, working with business to propose new and alternative operating procedures, producing additional documentation, or escalating requests to software vendor.
- Support in Coordinating, executing and documenting systems change requests.
- Assist to perform preventive maintenances for server infrastructure as per the schedule.
- Contributing in performing system installations, systems upgrades, systems migration and rollout of new software patches and updates
- Assist in administration of IP Telephony/Phone system administration, printers and secure access control and related security systems (CCTV, Biometric Access)
Education and Certifications
- Must have successfully completed their bachelor’s degree in computer science or any IT related field, completed within the last one year.
- Office 365 Administration or related Microsoft Certification.
- LAN/WAN Certification like CCNA
- VMWARE Certified professional
Skills and Competencies
- Knowledge in domain management and Active directory services.
- Knowledge in Microsoft 365 administration.
- Knowledge and skills in Windows server setup and administration.
- Knowledge and working experience with administration of database systems, especially MS SQL Server.
- Knowledge in VMWare – virtualization technology.
- Knowledge of Microsoft licensing requirements.
- Knowledge in networking (LAN, Wireless LAN, VPNs etc.), (Firewalls, Routers, and switches)
- Knowledge of TCP/IP Architecture and OSI Model.
- Knowledge of using and managing IT Helpdesk systems.
- Troubleshooting and problems solving skills in a Windows based environment.
- Previous exposure as systems administrator in a busy IT environment
- Good problem-solving skills and willingness to constantly renew required knowledge.
- Results oriented and able to meet tight deadlines.
To diligently perform your duties, these responsibilities will require a flexible approach and a hunger for growth. The suitable candidate should be prepared to perform other ICT related duties if called upon to do so.
Terms of Appointment:
Duration of the internship is three (3) months with a possibility for renewal of a further three (3) months. The successful intern is required to work full-time during office hours.
How to apply
Qualified and interested candidates should send their application letter & resume (combined in one pdf document) indicating the names, daytime telephone contacts, and email contacts of atleast 2 references (faculty and professional contacts), to email@example.com with the subject line “Systems Administrator Internship”.
The candidate must legally be eligible to work full time in Kenya.
Please do not send certificates at this stage.
Deadline for applications 27th March 2023 at 5.00 pm EAT.
MESPT is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) committed to Gender Equity and Diversity.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.