Johanniter-Unfall-Hilfe e.V. (www.thejohanniter.org) is a German non-governmental organization and has been active in Kenya since 2005 supporting local partners in various fields such as health care, disaster risk reduction, nutrition, food security and livelihoods. In May 2011, Johanniter opened an office in Nairobi in order to enhance its Kenya programme and strengthen the cooperation with its local partners.
Currently, together with our Kenyan partner organizations, Johanniter is implementing several projects throughout the country, including disaster relief and disaster preparedness activities and a livelihoods project in Turkana. Additionally, Kenya is part of a regional project together with South Sudan and Uganda. The project, funded by the German Foreign Office, focuses on South Sudanese refugees and is implemented together with local partner organizations in the sectors of Health, WASH and livelihoods.
Overall job purpose
Working directly under the Head of Mission Kenya, the Programme Manager will be responsible for the overall coordination, technical representation and oversight, implementation, guidance and quality of the running of current and future project/s.
Strategy and Vision
- Actively supports the values of Johanniter and shapes work accordingly.
- Contributes to the development and implementation of the global strategy of Johanniter International Assistance.
- Coordinates with implementing partners in the planning, monitoring and supervision of the Johanniter projects in Kenya.
- Responsible for meeting project objectives and monitoring of budget expenditure.
- Provides guidance to Johanniter implementing partners in the different sectors of intervention (e.g. nutrition, health, WASH, FSL)
- Ensures donor compliance and adherence to internal Johanniter policies and guidelines, Government and other relevant guidelines.
- Oversees the timely reporting by implementing partners for all projects in line with Johanniter and nutrition/health/WASH cluster guidelines and according to internal and donor requirements.
- Ensures all relevant stakeholders are provided with updates on the ongoing programme upon request, following the established reporting structures.
- Together with the Logistics Manager/Officer, ensures that implementing partners adhere to their procurement plans and follow the procurement guidelines.
Staff and Partner Development
- Recruits and supervises Johanniter programmes staff in collaboration with the Head of Mission / HR Officer.
- Ensures capacity building of local partner organisations and Johanniter programmes staff.
- Undertakes partner mapping and partner assessments as required.
- Works with implementing partners and Country Governments to develop MoUs with the Counties where Johanniter is operating.
- Participates in annual reviews of partnerships.
- Recognises further needs in the area of health, nutrition & food security / WASH, and undertakes assessments as necessary.
- Supports in reviewing partner project ideas and proposals, working closely with partners to finalize them, and writing project proposals when required.
- Develops ideas and concepts to further develop the programmatic objectives of Johanniter, alongside the Johanniter Global Strategy.
Strategic Planning, Leadership and Representation
- Represents Johanniter International when liaising with local authorities and partners, in coordinating with other NGOs, International Organisations, donors, etc.
- Contributes to the development of the Johanniter Country strategic plan, based on the global Johanniter strategy, in cooperation with the Head of Mission.
- Ensures that project staff in the field office understand and apply the Johanniter global and country strategy, organizational core values and procedures. Ensures that key information is shared between the senior management team and field project staff in Kenya.
- Contributes to a positive and inclusive work environment dedicated to the core values and mission of Johanniter
- Ensures communication is efficient and effective within the programmes team and within the CO team.
- Builds the capacity of project staff through regular meetings, coaching/mentoring and supporting with the developing of capacity building plans.
- Attends cluster meetings or ensures that designated staff attend.
- Supports media and press work in conjunction with Johanniter Head of Mission.
- Assists the Head of Mission in security monitoring and implementation of security measures.
- Represents Johanniter in relevant forums and networks.
- Regularly coordinates all above mentioned aspects with the Head of Mission
- Supports the country office team in translating guidelines and templates if necessary.
- Supports in other tasks if requested to do so.
Professional Qualifications and Experience:
- Masters’ degree in a relevant field e.g. Livelihoods, Food Security, Emergency Response and Preparedness.
- At least 6 years’ experience in programme management in a humanitarian context and in international development.
- Experience in coordinating public health / nutrition/ WASH / livelihoods and food security/ Emergency Response and Preparedness projects.
- Experience with large institutional donors e.g. EU, UN, German Foreign Office and the German Ministry of Cooperation etc.
- Experience in designing and implementing innovative, climate smart interventions is an added advantage.
- Experience in designing, coordinating and conducting baseline assessments and SMART surveys.
- Experience in Monitoring and Evaluation, writing proposals and reports.
- Experience in staff management and capacity building of staff and partners
- Experience in working with international and national partners, donors, and other authorities.
- Experience working in the Arid and Semi-Arid Lands is essential.
- Strong management, project planning and organizational skills
- Experience in budget monitoring and donor compliance
- Clear vision on programme development
- Strong analytical, written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to travel to remote locations, sometimes in an unstable security environment.
- Cultural sensitivity
- Ability to work in a team and independently.
- Strong commitment to local capacity building.
- Able to take initiative and be proactive.
- Demonstrated high level English skills, both written and spoken.
How to apply
How to apply:
- Johanniter is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity. Suitable candidates with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
*We require background checks (incl. criminal record and reference checks) to protect the vulnerable and prevent abuse. *
- Applications for this position (including a cover letter, CV, reference contacts of three former supervisors as well as job certificates/certificates of service from past employers) should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org until Friday 27th January 2023 Close of Business.
- Please indicate Programme Manager Kenya in the subject line of your e-mail and in the application mention your earliest date of availability.
- Only complete applications will be considered. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.
Written tests and interviews are expected to take place between the first and second weeks of February 2023. The candidates will be invited by mail at short notice.