Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an independent international medical humanitarian organization providing assistance to people affected by armed conflicts, epidemics, natural or non-natural disasters or persons excluded from access to health care. The organization has health projects in more than 68 countries.
MSF France Mathare project is looking to fill the position of a Driver. The successful candidate reports to the Base Logistics Supervisor.
MSF France has had a significance presence in Kenya since 1996. In Mathare Lavender House Clinic, MSF runs a 24-hour SGBV Clinic for victims of sexual and gender-based violence and an Emergency program which provides pre-hospital care and trauma/medical stabilization. We have a clinic in Dandora offering youth friendly services to those between the ages of 10 to 24 years. All our services are free including a toll-free hotline.
Objective of the Position:
Execute the task of transporting goods and authorized people in an MSF vehicle, making sure to respect the technical and safety conditions, the country’s highway code and MSF’s safety rules, in order to provide a service safe, trouble-free and efficient.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Every day, check the technical condition of the assigned vehicle (condition of tires, oil, fuel, brakes, radio equipment, spare parts, etc.), carry out weekly checks according to the MSF logbook, make the necessary fillings and keep the vehicle clean to ensure that it can be driven in perfect conditions. Make a handover with the following driver when applicable.
- Ensure the safety of the passengers in the vehicle, drive carefully, observe the speed limits and driving rules of the country and the safety rules of MSF, in order to avoid car accidents.
- Ensure that all passengers have the necessary documents before setting off and ensure that non-MSF personnel sign the appropriate liability waivers before using the vehicle.
- Ensure the correct loading and unloading of the vehicle and in particular, deliver the documents to the recipient of the goods, check the status of the delivered goods, return the duly completed documents to the logistics services, ensure that the goods are accompanied by the necessary documents.
- Ensure that all vehicle documents and the driver’s license are valid and are in the vehicle.
- Ensure that the vehicle is still in good condition following the instructions and guidelines in the logbook and make a handover / trade-in if someone else uses the vehicle.
- Inform the line manager of any incident relating to the transport of passengers or goods.
- Know how to use all types of radio, know by heart the codes, call numbers and radio alphabet and communicate with the base according to MSF communication policies in order to inform of the location of the driver and the possible implications.
- Know and respect the safety rules relating to the movement of vehicles, and particularly those concerning customs, checkpoints and roadblocks. Ensure that all passengers know and follow the safety rules.
- Participate on Job trainings organized by Joint Mechanical workshop.
- Perform Bi-weekly checks of the vehicle at the assigned MSF premiss as per MSF Logbooks
- Cleaning/washing of the assigned vehicle
Education: Essential High School Certificate and relevant training and skills
MUST possess a valid Kenyan driving license
Experience: Desirable at least 2 years of driving experience preferably with MSF or other NGOs
Preferably experience with the vehicles to be used (4X4, Landcruiser’s etc.) and Knowledge of basic mechanics desirable
Languages: Knowledge of English and Kiswahili
Competencies/Skills: Good knowledge of Nairobi environment and the larger Eastland’s area
Knowledge on the use of VHF and HF radio communication/ Punctual, reliable and flexible to work long hours, weekends and on public holidays when required. Good Team and Humanitarian spirit.
How to apply
Applicants MUST be Kenyan nationals and have the necessary statutory documents (ID, NSSF, NHIF and a PIN certificate).
Candidates meeting the above qualifications are requested to submit a motivation letter and an updated Curriculum Vitae as a single file mentioning on the subject line, “Driver ”, to Email: email@example.com or submit a physical application to MSF Dandora/ Mathare clinic
The protection of your personal data is important to MSF and will be treated confidentially. By submitting your application, you consent to MSF using your personal data only for the recruitment process to have all the information and documents necessary to proceed with the recruitment, validation of your application and selection of the most suitable candidate. MSF does not sell your personal data under any circumstances. If you have any questions, requests or concerns, you can contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org
MSF is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, race, religion, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. We are committed to achieving a balanced gender distribution and therefore encourage women to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
MSF provides a work environment that reflects the values of gender equality, teamwork, integrity and a healthy balance of work and life. MSF does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment and discrimination.
Applications must be received by the deadline. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
MSF is an equal Employer and does not charge any application/ recruitment fee.