Médecins Sans Frontières is an international independent medical-humanitarian organization, which offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination and irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation.
MSF is a civil society initiative that brings together individuals committed to the assistance of other human beings in crisis. As such MSF is by choice an association. Each individual working with MSF does it out of conviction and is ready to uphold the values and principles of MSF.
The MSF movement is built around six operational directorates supported by MSF’s 21 sections, 24 associations and other offices together worldwide. MSF OCBA is one of those directorates. The operations are implemented by field teams and the mission coordination teams; together with the organizational units based in Barcelona, Athens and decentralised in Nairobi, Dakar and Amman. The field operations are guided and supported by 5 Operational Cells, the Emergency Unit and other departments supporting operations, including the Medical Department.
MAIN OBJECTIVE OF THE POSITION
The successful applicant will be an advisor in technical and strategic paediatric matters for OCBA. Her/his mission will be to contribute through her/his expertise to the improvement of care provided to patients in MSF projects in this domain. She or he will give support in this area to the polyvalent medical staff in the cells, the teams in the field and operations department in general at HQ level. S/he will be responding to the needs and requests of OCBA missions, in close coordination and teamwork with the other Paediatric Advisor based in Barcelona, both with the responsibility to cover effectively all the needs in the OCBA portfolio.
This is a 100% FTE role with potential filed visit. Together with the paediatric advisor based in Barcelona, they will work in close coordination with the advisors of other technical areas of the medical department to contribute to transversal, integrated and holistic support to the cells and the field.
PLACEMENT WITHIN THE ORGANIZATION
The Paediatric Advisor will be hierarchically accountable to the Head of OCBA Dakar Unit and functionally accountable to the Head of Medical Specialties Unit, which in turn is directly accountable to the MSF-OCBA Medical Director. Functionally s/he will be linked to and supporting Medical polyvalent (TESACO/ Desk HQ) and Medical Coordinators (missions), Head of Medical Operations, and the rest of the referent advisors of the Medical Department. While in the field, s/he works under the regular hierarchical and functional structures of the missions, while keeping communication with the Medical Department.
MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES, FUNCTIONS AND TASKS
- S/he provides support to enhance quality of care in missions through protocols and guidance concerning technical program set up and clinical procedures, as well as through follow up visits. S/he will work alongside a team of other relevant experts in areas relevant to child health: SRH, HIV-TB, laboratory, nutrition, malaria and tropical disease, mental health, health promotion, vaccination, surgery and pharmacy.
- In charge of validation of all MSF OCBA protocols related to neonates, paediatrics & adolescents. In particular revision of neonatal, paediatric and nutrition guidelines for OCBA.
- S/he contributes to the planning of paediatric activities within MSF by participating in the Paediatric Working Group (PWG) discussion and meetings.
- S/he supports the Learning Unit in the development and roll-out of paediatric training (PMR training, PPD, paediatric e-learning, field paediatric packages, HBB, Paediatric Emergency Hospital Care).
- S/he contributes to the definition of priorities in operational research and participates in the follow up and supervision of operational research activities in paediatrics.
- S/he contributes to the “transversal” analysis of our projects and capitalizing on experience through strategic documents, technical recommendations and guidelines.
- S/he will receive data and reports from the field regarding paediatrics activities, to contribute to its analysis, providing timely feedback to support the quality of care in MSF OCBA paediatric programs and participate in its dissemination by preparing presentations in an adapted format (presentations in the field / HQ /external).
- S/he conducts field visits / supports when needed (including emergencies) / requesting and providing systematically reports, including program assessments and recommendations.
- S/he participate actively in the planning and implementation of assessments and will be involved in the development of proposals for potential operational interventions.
- S/he will participate in briefing and debriefing of mobile staff to discuss and orient in main responsibilities, guidelines policies, data collection and reporting, together with other referents.
- S/he Supports the HR department in the development of a paediatric HR policy in line with the paediatric Road Map, matching and development of paediatric staff (paediatricians, paediatric nurses and medical staff with interest and experienced in paediatrics).
- This role will be responsible for paediatric activities in all countries in Cell 2 (Mali, Niger, Nigeria, Burkina Faso), Cell 3 (DRC), and LATAM, as well as relevant countries temporarily under the responsibility of the Emergency Cell. Subject to negotiation within the paediatric advisory team.
Medical department development:
- S/he participates in all activities organized by the Medical Department, including weekly, monthly and process revision meetings and development of the plan of action of the department.
- S/he participates in the Paediatric Working Group Meetings as representative of OCBA.
- S/he will promote the development of paediatric programs within MSF OCBA, identifying key priorities issues which need to be invested in (operational research, key paediatric questions).
- S/he keeps a regular communication and exchange with the other technical advisors/cells/departments in order to contribute to enhanced transversal work and better support to the field.
- S/he collaborates when requested and green lighted by her/his line manager with specific dossiers with other departments and services (HHRR, Communication, Fundraising, Logistics, etc.).
- S/he liaises with key external actors related to paediatrics (academics, researchers, institution developing programs or policies related to paediatrics) to inform or be informed on recent / ongoing developments in and outside of MSF (programs, research, initiatives, introduction of new tools) and use that info to feed internal discussion on paediatrics to promote innovation.
- Medical doctor with paediatrics certified specialty degree.
- Very good general knowledge of paediatrics in different domains, including tropical paediatric diseases and nutrition programmes.
- Postgraduate studies or experience in Neonatology, or any other paediatric sub-specialty is an asset.
- Education and/or experience in Public Health will be a valuable asset.
- A minimum of 2 years of experience in different MSF projects (different contexts) or with relevant medical organization working in low-income countries and/or humanitarian settings.
- Fluent in French and English is desirable. Knowledge of another language (Spanish, Arabic, and Portuguese) is an asset.
- Excel, Word and PowerPoint program literate.
- Willing to travel abroad, including conflict settings (up to 30% of the time).
- Position based in any MSF-OCBA Hub (Barcelona, MSF-Spain office delegations, Amman, Dakar or Nairobi).
- Full-time position.
- Contract duration: 8 months.
- Annual gross salary: HQ-4A (level 13 in Dakar) (divided in 12 months payments) + secondary benefits, based on MSF OCBA reward policy.
- Starting date: mid-May 2023.
How to apply
To apply, please submit your CV and cover letter:
Closing date: April 9th, 2023, 23:59 CET (Central European Time).
MSF is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, race, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. We are committed to achieving a balanced gender distribution and therefore encourage women to apply.
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence. MSF provides a work environment that reflects the values of gender equality, teamwork, integrity and a healthy balance of work and life. MSF does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo reference checks.
Médecins Sans Frontieres, as a responsible employer, under article 38 of “Ley de Integración Social del Minusválido de 1982 (LISMI)” invite those persons with a recognized disability and with an interest in the humanitarian area to apply for the above-mentioned position.