Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an independent international medical humanitarian organization providing assistance to people affected by armed conflicts, epidemics, natural or non-natural disasters or persons excluded from access to health care. The organization has health projects in more than 68 countries.
MSF France Mathare project is looking to fill the position of a Hygiene Agent. The successful candidate reports to the SGBV/Mental health Supervisor.
MSF France has had a significance presence in Kenya since 1996. In Mathare Lavender House Clinic, MSF runs a 24-hour SGBV Clinic for victims of sexual and gender-based violence and an Emergency program which provides pre-hospital care and trauma/medical stabilization. We have a clinic in Dandora offering youth friendly services to those between the ages of 10 to 24 years. All our services are free including a toll-free hotline.
Objective of the Position:
According to the protocols assigned to the function, carry out cleaning activities to ensure the hygiene and disinfection of surfaces and materials.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Perform tasks related to hygiene and disinfection according to the protocols applied in the service, know and apply the specific hygiene protocols and safety rules. This includes, but is not limited to the following:
- Maintain clean and disinfect the infrastructures allocated to his position, including furniture, doors, walls and floor, medical equipment (patient rooms, consultation rooms, laboratory, operating room, delivery room, staff room, storage room, kitchen, bathroom, and latrines) applying specific protocols and using the tools and equipment provided. Clean floors, equipment, beds, toilets and showers according to protocols and plan the schedule
- Collect and evacuate the waste produced by the medical structures towards the designated site, previously organized by the medical staff, empty the bins as often as necessary to ensure an effective quality of care and a safe environment.
- Report any necessary repairs or maintenance related to hygiene to the supervisor, along with any relevant information related to his responsibilities.
- Raise awareness of hygiene and sanitation measures among patients, visitors, staff, mothers to properly use water distribution points, latrines, hand washing areas, in collaboration with the health promotion and nursing team.
- Fill all water containers every morning (drinking water and hand washing areas) and refill them when they are half full. To wash your hands, make sure soap is available.
- Install mosquito nets as required for the use of hospital beds and Conduct laundry activities according to protocols.
- Ensure that equipment and tools are properly used and maintained. Ensure the availability of hygiene and sanitation products and establish prescriptions for ongoing needs.
- Notify line manager of any repair or maintenance needs and share all relevant information related to his/her responsibilities.
Education: Essential High school Certificate/Certificate in housekeeping
Experience: Desirable at least 1 year of experience working in a similar position/ experience working with Youth is a plus
Languages: Essential local language Kiswahili and English
Competencies/Skills : Adherence to MSF principles; Flexibility of behaviour; Stress management / Teamwork and cooperation; service oriented
How to apply
Applicants MUST be Kenyan nationals and have the necessary statutory documents (ID, NSSF, NHIF and a PIN certificate).
Candidates meeting the above qualifications are requested to submit a motivation letter and an updated Curriculum Vitae as a single file mentioning on the subject line “Hygiene Agent” to Email: email@example.com or drop a physical application to MSF Dandora/ Mathare clinic
The protection of your personal data is important to MSF and will be treated confidentially. By submitting your application, you consent to MSF using your personal data only for the recruitment process to have all the information and documents necessary to proceed with the recruitment, validation of your application and selection of the most suitable candidate. MSF does not sell your personal data under any circumstances. If you have any questions, requests or concerns, you can contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org
MSF is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, race, religion, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. We are committed to achieving a balanced gender distribution and therefore encourage women to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
MSF provides a work environment that reflects the values of gender equality, teamwork, integrity and a healthy balance of work and life. MSF does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment and discrimination.
Applications must be received by the deadline. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
MSF is an equal Employer and does not charge any application/ recruitment fee.