TERMS OF REFERENCE ADVOCACY AND COMMUNICATIONS OFFICER
Start Date: Immediate Company: Non-Profit
Period: One year renewable Closing Date: 16th February 2023
Background: InformAction (IFA) is a unique field-based human rights organization that uses social justice films and community debates to get ordinary people to speak out and take action. Established in 2010, we operate through mobile field teams in six regions of operations in the Coast, South Rift, South Nyanza, Western Kenya, Central, and North Eastern Kenya. InformAction’s experienced activists lead community discussions on justice, human rights, and governance issues.
InformAction is recruiting an Advocacy and Communications Officer responsible for planning, developing, and implementing communication strategies to promote Information’s programs. The incumbent will also be responsible for developing partnerships with other relevant organizations and various networks to disseminate information and create awareness about topical human rights and governance issues and InformAction’s programs and activities.
- Program Communications for advocacy and awareness-the Communications Officer will work closely with the InformAction’s program team to ensure that relevant program materials, such as Human Interest Stories, donor reports, proposals, factsheets, infographics, etc., are developed and disseminated to donors and target groups through relevant media and network channels. The Communications Officer will assist the InformAction program team in the proposal development stage to identify appropriate communication activities for the projects.
- Digital Communications/Social media Maintain InformAction’s country website and social media sites (Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube) such as daily monitoring, posting, and content development. InformAction’s Brand and Communications Ensure timely and quality production of advocacy and branding materials such as periodicals, annual and donor reports, supplements, calendars, briefing notes, Human Interest Stories, picture stories, videos, etc. The Communications Officer will develop and archive communication materials, including digital.
- Donor Relations: Develop and maintain an updated list of InformAction’s donors and special interest groups. Assist in developing donor visits schedules/brochures, donor gifts and cards, etc. Support preparation of background materials, briefs, and information kits for visiting donors and high-profile guests/visitors. The task includes travel planning, logistics, and administrative arrangements.
- Events/campaigns- Assist in organizing and generating public support for special events and campaigns to promote strategic conservation goals. Support organization of workshops, seminars, campaigns, events, and project review meetings, including agendas and meeting minutes.
- Monitoring and evaluation-Monitor and evaluate the impact of communication materials and advocacy events/campaigns to target audiences.
- Media Relations Develop and maintain contact information, materials, and relationships with journalists and media outlets (print, TV, radio, web, etc.) Specific activities may include:
- Draft and edit articles, press releases, human-interest stories, and other advocacy/information materials.
- Collaborate with the media by organizing project site visits, facilitating photo coverage and TV footage, and utilizing both web-based and traditional media as appropriate.
- Monitor and evaluate the use and effectiveness of media materials. Maintain a library of media coverage, clippings, etc.
Qualification/ Applicant Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree in communications, journalism, public relations, or a related field.
- At least five years of similar work experience is required. Candidate should be able to work independently – with minimum supervision and guidance from supervisors. Demonstrated and extensive social media experience is an added advantage.
- Knowledge of and a passion for electoral governance and human rights issues in the region
Knowledge, Skills, And Abilities Required
- Excellent written and oral English communication skills and proficiency.
- He/she should have an advanced working knowledge of MS Office (Word, Powerpoint, Excel, and Publisher). Candidates with basic design and layout skills and adept in Adobe Photoshop and Pagemaker are an added advantage.
- Demonstrated and extensive social media experience is an added advantage.
- Demonstrable IT skills, including working with WORD package, website management,
- Ability to work independently, suggest practical solutions, and follow up effectively on management decisions.
- Good planning skills, proactivity, creativity, and ability to meet established deadlines.
- Ability to conceptualize, design and implement major information campaigns
- Communication, presentation, networking, and advocacy skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills and ability to work under tight deadlines.
- Good research and analytical skills; Strong verbal and written communication skills; fluent in English both in writing and in speech, including writing press releases
- Emotional intelligence: Remains calm in stressful situations
- Ability to travel to program areas on duty frequently.
- Comfortable managing complexities and shifting priorities
How to apply
Submission of Application
If you are qualified for this position, submit your CV and a cover letter detailing why you think you are suitable to email@example.com. Quote the title of the job you are applying for in the subject line. Only successful candidates will be contacted. Closing date 16th February 2023.
Disclaimer: InformAction is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified persons are encouraged to apply. Canvassing will automatically lead to disqualification.