Trócaire works in partnership with national, local and church organisations, supporting communities in over 20 developing countries across Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Middle East to bring about lasting change. Trócaire envisages a just and peaceful world where people’s dignity is ensured and rights are respected, basic needs are met and resources are shared equitably, people have control over their own lives and those in power act for the common good.
The role of Finance Officer will form part of Trócaire’s Global Support Office (GSO), which is based in Nairobi. The GSO hosts several teams, including the Somalia Programme Office, Global Hub on Partnership & Localisation, the Sudan Programme office, and various global roles devolved from HQ. The role will provide financial and administrative supports that contribute to the GSO’s successful operations.
This is a fixed-term contract for 12 months with possibility of extension, reporting to the Finance & Admin Manager (FAM). This nationally contracted role will be based in Nairobi, Kenya.
Safeguarding Programme Participants-Children & Adults
Trócaire is committed to Safeguarding people within our programmes from Exploitation and Abuse and has specific policies on this commitment (including a Global Code of Conduct) which outlines the expected behaviour and responsibility of all staff, consultants and other organisational representatives. Any candidate offered a job with Trócaire will be expected to sign Trócaire’s Safeguarding Policies and Global Code of Conduct as an appendix to their contract of employment and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these documents.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- Process the daily financial needs for the Trócaire Global Support Office.
- Work closely with all GSO teams on financial planning to ensure the funds are always available for implementation of activities.
- Prepare weekly, monthly and quarterly GSO financial reports and ensuring that expenditure is incurred within the budget limits and following financial procedures.
- Assist the FAM and Programme Accountants in the preparation of financial reports as needed.
- Prepare monthly reconciliation statements (bank and petty cash) and notify the FAM when any balance on the bank accounts is running low.
- Prepare and submit for approval the cash request from Head office with inputs from the Somalia, Sudan, Hub and GSO teams.
- Ensure that transactions are fully supported and approved before payment.
- Regularly review all supporting documentation to ensure validity and follow up on any issues identified.
- Oversee a highly organized and well managed filing system of all finance documents to ensure good audit trail.
- Ensuring that only fully budget coded expenditures are paid and posted to the Agresso accounting system in line with the finance procedures.
- Assist with the preparation of the audit schedules and support internal and external audit processes.
- Maintain current knowledge of Kenya government requirements related to financial matters and ensure all taxes due are paid to the relevant government authorities within the set deadlines.
- Liaise with the FAM and GSO Office Manager and regularly update an accurate fixed assets register.
- Ensure timely payments and funds transfer to suppliers and staff.
- Keep fiduciary filing duty of all the contracts and agreements and monitor status on a quarterly basis; keep log of all payments done/due for all the contractual obligations.
- Work with the GSO Office Manager in preparing the admin expenditure budget and ensuring that expenditure is incurred within budget limits and following financial procedures.
- Support with annual and project budget preparation for GSO.
- Conduct data entry of financial data on the Agresso accounting system on a daily basis with correct budget and cost centres.
- Prepare monthly financial checklist; ensure they are reviewed and sign off by 15th of the month.
- Ensure partners transfers are transferred on time and partner grant confirmation receipts are received and filed.
- Support on the preparation of the annual and quarterly budget packs; ensure they are reviewed and submitted to HQ on time.
- Liaise with the GSO Office Manager on missionary grants transfers and reports.
- Prepare monthly batch journal uploads for recurring expenditure including salary costs, taxi and other costs.
- Ensure shared cost budget and sharing matrix are up to date and costs shared with the agreed cost share matrix.
- Assist the FAM on monthly intercompany accounts reconciliations.
- Facilitate bank transactions and act as the GSO bank agent.
- Ensure a well-managed petty cash system.
- Ensure smooth communication with the Sudan and Hub Programme Accountants, in relation to proper budget codes and programme visits, among other activities.
Programme-Specific Finance Duties:
- Any other reasonable and relevant area of work, depending on the emerging needs.
Behavioural Competencies in Line with Trócaire’s Competency Framework
- Leading: Reflecting our values of Participation & Accountability, acts to inspire and lead others to achieve their potential, demonstrating Trócaire’s values with integrity in order to achieve our organisation’s objectives.
- Communicating: Reflecting our value of Participation, being one organisation, communicating clearly and transparently across, teams, units, divisions, locations and other external organisations. Getting our message across with impact.
- Collaborating: Reflecting our values of Participation & Solidarity, partnering effectively as One Trócaire organisation and, in solidarity, maintains positive relationships built on trust and respect.
- Stewardship of Resources: Reflecting our value of Accountability and decision-making around the best use of resources. Using our resources transparently, sustainably, ethically, fairly & with integrity; acknowledging Trócaire’s reputation in the use of resources.
- Delivering Results: Reflecting our values of Accountability & Perseverance, getting a quality job done through effective performance, planning and decision making.
- Continual Improvement & Learning: Reflecting our values of Participation & Courage, constantly looking to learn and develop self, employees, and partners to better fulfil Trócaire’s’ mission.
- Flexibility & Change: Reflecting our values of Participation & Courage, adapts positively to change and to different ways of doing things; manages or takes part in change processes in a way that is appropriate to role in the organisation.
Person Specification – Essential Requirements
- An undergraduate degree in a finance-related field.
- First level accountancy qualification.
- At least 3 years of relevant financial work experience with a development or humanitarian organisation.
- Hands on experience with using Agresso or a similar accounting system.
- Strong financial and administrative skills.
- Strong computer skills, including in use of accounting software and MS office programs (Word, Excel, Outlook).
- Ability to work independently while also being a strong team player.
- Strong organisational skills, initiative, and ability to prioritise work.
- Ability to perform several tasks with attention to detail.
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written) to team members and partners.
- Ability to maintain outstanding working relationships.
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills.
- Ability to show initiative and take responsibility.
- Fluency (written and spoken) in English.
- Possesses an unwavering sense of integrity.
- A proven commitment to teamwork.
- Ability to engage effectively and respectfully with a diverse group of team members and partners.
- Commitment to, and understanding of, Trócaire’s aims, values and principles, including a commitment to principles of partnership, rights-based approaches, social justice and development.
How to apply
For the candidate with the required experience and passion for the role, Trócaire offers a competitive package of salary and benefits.
The closing date for receipt of applications is 20th February 2023.
Top apply for this job, please follow this link https://apply.workable.com/trocaire/j/34EC13F129/