Trócaire works in partnership with national, local and church organisations, supporting communities in over 20 developing countries across Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Middle East to bring about lasting change. Trócaire envisages a just and peaceful world where people’s dignity is ensured and rights are respected, basic needs are met and resources are shared equitably, people have control over their own lives and those in power act for the common good.
The Programme Accountant will form part of Trócaire’s Global Hub on Partnership and Localisation, which is based in Nairobi. This new role will support the Hub’s programme delivery by coordinating financial and grant management support processes for the team and assigned partners, supporting and coordinating financial planning and budget development for grants and proposals, and ensuring compliance across all grants.
This is a fixed-term contract for 12 months with possibility of extension, reporting to the Global Director – Partnership & Localisation (GD), with dotted line management the Finance & Admin Manager (FAM). This nationally contracted role will be based in Nairobi, Kenya.
Safeguarding Programme Participants-Children & Adults
Trócaire is committed to Safeguarding people within our programmes from Exploitation and Abuse and has specific policies on this commitment (including a Global Code of Conduct) which outlines the expected behaviour and responsibility of all staff, consultants and other organisational representatives. Any candidate offered a job with Trócaire will be expected to sign Trócaire’s Safeguarding Policies and Global Code of Conduct as an appendix to their contract of employment and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these documents.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
Hub Financial and Compliance Duties
- Regularly review and manage effective financial controls, policies and procedures, which comply with Trócaire organisational policies and procedures and widely accepted accounting standards.
- Ensure timely and accurate preparation of financial and donor reports.
- Closely monitor all Hub financial activities and keep the GD, FAM and HQ Finance advised of issues that may impact internal controls or financial management.
- In collaboration with the GD and FAM, lead in the preparation and finalisation of annual Hub or programme budgets and manage budget reviews and revisions.
- Finalise the Hub’s year end accounts for external auditors and provide any ad-hoc financial reports as required with support from HQ Finance.
- Prepare and share the Hub’s Budget v. Actual reports through Agresso and appropriately review jointly with the Hub team.
- Support the internal and external audit process with support from FAM and HQ Finance; follow up on recommendations included in audit reports.
- Ensure that all financial records and accounts are compiled accurately, in a timely manner, and in line with international accounting standards and donor regulations.
- Analyse, prepare, and submit Hub cash flow projections to the Finance Officer (FO) and FAM.
- Coordinate with GSO Office Manager and FO on all payment requests for the Hub and ensure all costs are posted on Agresso accurately.
- Ensure effective utilisation of the global accounting package (Agresso Business World).
- Review all Hub financial transactions and payment requests to ensure they are valid, within budget, fully evidenced, approved, and fully conform to Trócaire and donor compliance requirements before making payments.
- Check all Hub float requests and clearances to ensure accuracy and timeliness.
- Ensure that all financial documentation is properly and securely filed on Trócaire’s systems and can be easily referenced and audited.
- Prepare monthly Hub batch journal uploads for recurring expenditure, including salary costs, taxi and other costs.
- Work with the GSO Office Manager and FO on day-to-day Hub related expenditure status.
- Together with the Programme team undertake and partake in partner risk pre-assessments and grant start-up meetings.
- Monitor partner expenditure and report any arising issues to management.
- Deliver project compliance trainings for project staff and partners on the award’s governing regulations, Trócaire requirements/tools/processes, and other award expectations.
- Contribute to strengthening partner staff capacity through review visits and communications.
- Support partners to meet their reporting schedules, ensuring that financial reports are in line with approved budgets and grant requirements.
- Follow up on partners’ internal audit findings and partner capacity assessment recommendations for implementation.
- Support partners in maintaining an appropriate filing system for easy access of documents.
- Ensure partners are aware of and meet donors’ grant management and reporting requirements.
- Maintain the Hub’s budgeting and financial reporting templates.
- Facilitate timely grant processing, regularly updating the Hub team on disbursement status.
- Monitor and review partner financial reporting, ensuring timeliness, compliance with Trócaire/donor requirements, cost efficiency and effectiveness in utilization of financial resources, validity, accuracy and completeness of reported expenses.
- Ensure all partner financial and grant-related documentation is uploaded on Salesforce and Box.
- Support Hub team in uploading budgets onto Agresso.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of various back donor and Kenya government requirements related to financial matters and ensure compliance with tax regulations and other legal requirements; provide advice to Hub team on these issues, as required.
- Provide timely review and feedback to partners’ financial reports and monitor expenditure.
- Prepare timely fund transfers to Hub partners, based on approved instructions.
- Support partners and the Hub team during project and programme design and costing, including the development of robust budget proposals.
- Review and finalise submitted partner financial proposals and budgets; compile budgets as needed.
- Prepare and share partner budgeting and financial reporting templates, donor templates and guidelines during proposal development.
- Develop action plans for budget and proposal development and coordinate with staff and partners on this.
- Coordinate closely with the HQ Finance team.
- Engage in international travel to visit and work with partners or engage in global meetings (est. 5-10% of time)
- Any other reasonable and relevant area of work, depending on the emerging needs.
● Ensure proper use and filing of timesheets and follow up with staff and partners as required.
● Ensure all Hub staff accurately use proper chart of accounts and budget codes.
● Conduct spot checks of the Hub’s data management and supporting documentation, following up with the team on any issues identified.
● Develop and present budget forecasts to the Hub team to ensure on-track expenditure.
Coordinate and Support Partner and Grant Management
● Undertake partner financial monitoring exercises including expenditure verifications, positively and constructively providing feedback to the partner and the Hub team, ensuring that arising issues are resolved in an effective and timely manner.
● Regularly update the Hub team on partner reporting and expenditure status.
● Update the Hub management on any financial and other risks that would impact on the delivery of the grants.
Support and Coordinate Financial Planning and Budget Development
Any Other Duties
● Provide support to Trócaire’s approaches to due diligence and partner financial capacity strengthening.
● Participate in regular Hub meetings, providing technical financial inputs and advice.
Behavioural Competencies in Line with Trócaire’s Competency Framework
Leading: Reflecting our values of Participation & Accountability, acts to inspire and lead others to achieve their potential, demonstrating Trócaire’s values with integrity in order to achieve our organisation’s objectives.
Communicating: Reflecting our value of Participation, being one organisation, communicating clearly and transparently across, teams, units, divisions, locations and other external organisations. Getting our message across with impact.
Collaborating: Reflecting our values of Participation & Solidarity, partnering effectively as One Trócaire organisation and, in solidarity, maintains positive relationships built on trust and respect.
Stewardship of Resources: Reflecting our value of Accountability and decision-making around the best use of resources. Using our resources transparently, sustainably, ethically, fairly & with integrity; acknowledging Trócaire’s reputation in the use of resources.
Delivering Results: Reflecting our values of Accountability & Perseverance, getting a quality job done through effective performance, planning and decision making.
Continual Improvement & Learning: Reflecting our values of Participation & Courage, constantly looking to learn and develop self, employees, and partners to better fulfil Trócaire’s’ mission.
Flexibility & Change: Reflecting our values of Participation & Courage, adapts positively to change and to different ways of doing things; manages or takes part in change processes in a way that is appropriate to role in the organisation.
Person Specification – Essential Requirements
An undergraduate degree in a finance-related field.
Post-graduate qualification in relevant field a plus.
Full professional accountancy qualification (CPA or ACCA) is required.
At least 5 years of relevant experience within a development or humanitarian organisation.
Hands on experience with using Agresso or a similar accounting system.
Strong accounting and administrative skills, including budget v. actual management and preparing financial reports.
Skills and knowledge in financial management of institutional donor funds.
Managing internal and external audits at organisation and project level.
Practical skills in preparing the multi-currency donor budgets using FTE (Full Time Equivalent) methods, consolidation of financial reports in donor currency from expenditure of different currencies, calculation of FX gains and losses, and budget revision.
Strong computer skills; must be competent in use of accounting software and MS office programs (Word, Excel, Outlook); skills with Agresso Business World would be an asset.
Ability to work independently while also being a strong team player.
Strong organisational skills, initiative, and ability to prioritise work.
Ability to perform several tasks with attention to detail.
Strong ability to multi-task and respond to unanticipated requests quickly.
Ability to perform essential functions under stressful and changing conditions and represent the department in a professional manner.
Excellent communication skills (oral and written) to team members and partners.
Ability to maintain outstanding working relationships internally and externally.
Strong problem solving and analytical skills.
Ability to show initiative and take responsibility.
Fluency (written and spoken) in English.Qualities
Possesses an unwavering sense of integrity.
A proven commitment to teamwork.
Ability to engage effectively and respectfully with a diverse group of team members and partners from different parts of the world.
Commitment to, and understanding of, Trócaire’s aims, values and principles, including a commitment to principles of partnership, rights-based approaches, social justice and development.
How to apply
For the candidate with the required experience and passion for the role, Trócaire offers a competitive package of salary and benefits.
The closing date for receipt of applications is 20th February 2023.
To apply for this job, please follow the link https://apply.workable.com/trocaire/j/D10C49FA95/