Organizational Profiles and project
Fondazione L’Albero della Vita – The Tree of Life Kenya is an organization registered in Kenya as a Trust with the aim of ensuring the wellbeing, protection and promotion of the rights of children and their families and encouraging community development.
The Catholic Archdiocese of Nairobi – ADN is the Metropolitan See for the Ecclesiastical province of Nairobi in Kenya, and the Primatial see for Kenya.
Caritas Nairobi – CN is the aid and development agency of the Catholic Archdiocese of Nairobi.
The Tree of Life, the Catholic Archdiocese of Nairobi, Caritas Nairobi and Rescue Dada Center are starting a joint project to offer new, updated services & infrastructures to street connected girls and GBV survivors in Nairobi County. The project entails a major infrastructural component.
Job Title: Technical supervisor of infrastructural works.
Duty station: main duty station will be Kamulu area, Nairobi County, with some activities and meetings carried out in Nairobi.
Starting date: 17th April 2023.
Duration of the assignment: 12 months, with 3 months’ probation.
Deadline for application: 21st March 2023.
Reporting line: project committee.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Support in the preparation and publication of BID.
- Preparation of operational agreements with the selected construction company.
- Preparation of the works schedule, in collaboration with the construction company.
- Daily monitoring of the progress of infrastructural works, in compliance with the time schedule and work plan.
- Check and ensure compliance with safety standards set by the Kenyan legislation.
- Check, monitor and ensure compliance with local regulations.
- Prepare and share with the line manager monthly updates and status/progress of the works.
- Immediate reporting of any critical issues and challenges in carrying out the works.
- Supervision of the testing and the quality check of the infrastructural works, to make sure that they meet adequate standards.
- Provision of solution of difficulties and challenges related to the implementation of the infrastructural works.
- Participation to relevant coordination meetings of the project, support the networking with key stakeholders of the sector in the area, supporting the creation of linkages and partnerships with government and private entities and services.
- Compile and aggregate narrative and quantitative reports, timely and high quality reports in line with donor’s guidelines and requirements.
- Collect visibility and information materials about the project.
- Support the development of M&E tools aimed at monitoring, evaluating the project and assessing its impact.
- Support the collection of achievements and lessons of the project activities and support the dissemination to partners and stakeholders.
- Support the collection of receipts, administrative documents with the support of the project’s Finance team, ensuring that all expenses are properly documented and done according to the available budget.
- Work as a team player providing relevant information and assistance to colleagues and ensuring that all project components are interlinked.
- Support feasibility studies, data collection and project proposals development.
- Any other duty as required by the line manager commensurate with the post and relevant to the achievement of Project objectives.
Knowledge and skills
- Bachelor’s degree in construction management, Architecture, Building Economics or Civil Engineering.
- Knowledge and technical expertise in infrastructural works; architectural skills.
- Knowledge and experience of project management.
- Strong ability to work with partners using effective interpersonal and communication skills and to respectfully interact with people from diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Strong analytical skills, report writing, administration, monitoring and evaluation.
- Solid organizational/time and project management skills as well as proactive, resourceful and results-oriented.
- Computer skills (Microsoft office word, excel, etc.)
- Data handling skill
- Excellent spoken and written English and Swahili.
- Previous experience in NGOs and donors-funded projects is an asset.
- Previous experience in working with Archdioceses, Caritas, other church-related entities.
Other Skills Required
- Honesty and strong ethics are required in order to be successful in this position.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Demonstrated capacity and willingness to learn – open to learning new ways of doing things.
- Firm belief in teamwork, gender equality, participatory approach and sustainable development.
- Planning and management skills.
- A minimum of 3 years in architectural / engineering works, and coordination preferably in the NGOs sector.
- Past experience supervising public buildings and works.
- Ability and willingness to manage project implementation.
- Good numerical, report writing and administration skills.
- Experience in the monitoring of implementation and evaluation of donor-funded programmes.
Employees must sign a child Safeguarding Policy and a confidentiality agreement, and may not share organizational materials without the express written permission from a supervisor; and
Working hours will be agreed upon. However, flexibility will be required to suit the project’s needs.
Budget and salary
Applicants should state their desired gross pay range and salary expectation.
How to apply
The application should include the following:
- Cover letter (stating current salary and expected salary, and how your profile fits the position and the skills required). Applications without salary expectations will not be considered.
- CV having 3 references with contacts.
The soft copy application should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Copying – cc: email@example.com
with the subject heading indicating: Technical supervisor of infrastructural works
Do not attach in this phase ID documents, school or university certificates, or any other document that has not been requested.
Applications received after the deadline or incomplete will not be considered. Only short-listed candidate (s) will be contacted.