Chemonics seeks a Technical Advisor – Private Sector Development for the USAID Frontier Health Markets (FHM) Engage project. FHM Engage is a global cooperative agreement to provide technical assistance supporting local actors to improve the ability of health markets to meet supply-side capacity gaps and consumer preferences and contribute to equitable provision of and access to high-quality family planning and other health services and products in mixed health systems. This will be achieved through operationalization of market development approach that address the market constraints which inhibit the functioning of local markets. Anticipated results include an improved market environment for greater private sector participation in the delivery of health products and services and improved equitable access and uptake of quality consumer-driven health products and services, with a particular focus on family planning and maternal health products, services, and outcomes.
The Technical Advisor, as part of global team, will be responsible for guiding the implementation of a suite of core and field support activities in Africa, ensuring all phases of FHM’s technical approach – diagnose (including market descriptions), co-design, deliver, and iteratively adapt – are implemented in accordance with FHM’s market development approach (MDA). This position provides mentoring, coaching, and technical support to implementation partners and local market actors in activity design and implementation with a focus on private sector approaches and health outcomes in family planning and maternal health. The Technical Advisor will work directly with the Chiefs of Party for the mission buy-ins (currently Liberia, Tanzania, Nigeria, and Madagascar), and core team of experts with similar experience in leading market landscaping and strategy development. The Technical Advisor will act as the resource for Chemonics Global Health Division to support and nurture understanding of private sector and market-based approaches.
Chemonics International Inc. is a US-based international development consulting company, operating in over 95 countries. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
Under the leadership of FHM Engage Technical Director, acts as the technical focal point for FHM Engage in the region on both core and buy-in activities, working with FHM Engage Leadership, Project Management Unit, consortium partners technical leaders, the Adaptive Learning team, international / regional and local implementation partners.
Strategic Direction and Leadership
- Enable market scoping in FHM Engage activities through participatory approaches and platform(s) to (i) describe markets through quantitative and qualitative analysis, (ii) define a priority problem to be addressed in family planning and maternal and child health, iii) identify the core markets most directly implicated in the problem, (iv) diagnose root causes of underperformance and design interventions, and (v) define interventions that will strengthen the supporting functions in the market system
- Ensure project activities are consistent with established evidence-informed good practice, including the implementation of market development approaches; and effective approaches and tools to implement these practices
- Support technical work in topic areas including analysis and publication of technical reports, case studies, agreed-on deliverables, and technical tools on topics related to health market development and private sector engagement
- Support the development of work plan and implementation of assigned core activities, primarily in Africa, including strategy development, implementation planning, and technical direction of activities
- Support identification and recruitment of individuals with technical expertise who may be available for short- and long-term assignments
- Ensure that all activities are undertaken in full compliance with standard operating procedures, USAID policies and regulations, and national policies and laws
Facilitate partnership development
- Provide coaching and mentoring support to regional and local implementation partners who will lead the implementation of FHM activities
- Work closely with Partnerships Director to select local or regional organizations to carry out activity implementation. Ensure work completed by partners is aligned with the FHM Engage approach and of high quality. Monitor shifts in implementation timelines and alert the corresponding project management unit when needed
- Enable the scale up of market-based approaches that are co-created with key public-private stakeholders and supported with state-of-the-art technical, business, and market segmentation analysis, and other relevant services to ensure sustainable and equitable access to family planning and/or other health products, services, and information
- Strengthen partner network capacities to execute on the FHM “diagnose, design, deliver, and adapt” process and their capabilities to use participatory methods
- Manage the relationship with partner organizations on compliant delivery of inputs and the achievement of agreed upon outputs and outcomes
- Undertake technical and capacity assessments of identified partners
- Maintain regular communications, including field visits when possible, with country partners
Promote learning agenda
- Share local, contextualized data, global lessons, and emerging innovations with the FHM Technical team to promote shared learning
- Serve as needed as liaison to USAID missions, host country governments, project stakeholders, and counterparts in the public and private sectors.
- Advise USAID and other stakeholders, as appropriate, on market development technical trends and programming priorities
- Provide thought leadership to advance health market development approaches, including generating evidence, learning, and innovation to improve the understanding of local health markets and strategies to address market failures
- Work with the monitoring, evaluation, and learning team to focus on documenting what is being accomplished, how these accomplishments connect to changes in country health markets, and how the market systems change over time
- Work with implementing partners, refine and answer questions in line with FHM’s adaptive management learning approach
- Bring evidence to action by promoting use of this learning to build country-level understanding of challenges and generation and prioritization of local solutions
- Document processes and achievements across the project including oversight of activities to ensure learning is captured and disseminated
Work with the communications team to synthesize key learnings for FHM Engage regular reporting and for internal and external dissemination, including technical working groups, conferences, learning events and blogs
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty and responsibility satisfactorily. The qualifications listed below are representative of the required knowledge, skills, and/or abilities needed to perform the principal duties.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree in Public Health or a health-related field preferred
- Minimum of fifteen years of relevant experience in health market development for services or products, ideally in targeted technical assistance in market facilitation approaches preferably in the Africa region
- Demonstrated technical leadership in market development approaches, social enterprise development, private sector engagement, mixed health systems, family planning and/or maternal health outcomes
- Demonstrated experience in providing technical assistance and coaching for technical teams
- Demonstrated experience working with USAID programs
- Ability to build strong relationships with host country governments, donor agencies, international organizations, and the private sector
- Willingness and ability to be flexible and adapt to the changing needs of the project, when needed
- Ability to work within a highly matrixed and remote work environment. Excellent interpersonal skills, and the ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with clients, colleagues, partners, technical experts, and relevant project stakeholders
- Possess a high level of adaptability and ability to adjust to the constantly changing programmatic and working environment
- Proficiency in English required. Proficiency in a second language (French) strongly preferred
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity
How to apply
Please send a cover letter, a full detailed Curriculum Vitae or Resume, and the names and contact information for three professional references to FHMEngageRecruitment@FHM-Engage.org by February 17th, 2023. Please include “Technical Advisor – Private Sector Development – Kenya” in the subject line. No telephone inquiries, please. Chemonics will contact finalists.
Chemonics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.
Chemonics values the protection of your personal data. If you are in the European Union, please read our EU Recruiting Data Privacy Notice to learn how we process personal data. You may access the notice via the following link: https://chemonics.com/eu-recruiting-data-privacy-notice/