Digital Development activities and portfolio in the Eastern and Southern Africa region, including lending, supervision and analytical work. IDD04 is looking for a Senior Digital Development (DD) Specialist to be based in Nairobi, Kenya. The position will report to the Practice Manager.
Duties and responsibilities:
The Senior Digital Development (DD) Specialist, will be responsible for the following:
- Lead missions and supervise major projects in the sector as a technical expert; interact with clients at the policy and senior management levels, organize and manage policy notes on digital development and policy evaluation in collaboration with sector agencies, development partners and other Global Practices.
- Contribute to the design, preparation and supervision of World Bank Group financed digital development related investment and policy reform programs in client countries, with a particular emphasis on stimulating development of digital connectivity infrastructure through leveraging private sector investments with matching investments from the Bank, strengthening regulatory agencies, facilitating development of digital government IT infrastructure, platforms and services, and promoting development of digital skills and innovation.
- Advise clients on strategies, best practices and design of programs to develop the foundations of their digital economies. This may include participating in complex technical assistance activities and providing just-in-time technical and strategic expertise on the design of the overall policy, legal, regulatory and institutional framework for the ICT sector and wider digital economy as well as IT functions and digital services delivery within governments.
- Participate in complex technical assistance activities and provide ad hoc technical and strategic expertise on the design of the overall policy, legal, regulatory and institutional framework for the development of the digital economy in client countries, including development of National ICT / Digital Economy Policy and Strategy documents.
- Develop innovative and practical approaches to solving difficult policy and operational issues for selected high priority telecommunications, ICT or digital economy related activities, notably around market opening and regulation.
- Provide technical expertise and advice on a range of ICT policy and regulatory issues to promote competition, investment, innovation and job creation in the telecoms sector with the aim of boosting affordability, service quality and access to digital connectivity by citizens, businesses and governments and to stimulate the downstream development of value-added digital services.
- Generate ‘think pieces’, ‘best practice’ papers and blog articlesfor web publication; handle complex technical, institutional and program implementation issues in the sectors; lead the development of proposals; lead the interface with member governments and agencies in resolving implementation issues. Prepare and supervise publication of best practice notes and reports on policy and regulation in the digital economy;
- Provide technical expertise and advice on policy, institutional reform, project development and execution to support the digitization of public administration and public services delivery in client countries.
- Liaise and provide guidance to colleagues working in other sectors (including agriculture, health, education, energy, financial services, transport, etc.) on how to leverage digital technologies to improve public service delivery and efficiency in the respective sectors and to stimulate digital innovation, entrepreneurship and investment in those sectors by private sector actors.
- Contribute to policy dialogue with senior officials of client countries, regional institutions and development partner agencies.
- Work independently under general direction of unit manager, in collaboration with other team members, and guide and mentor junior staff.
- Represent the DD Unit and the Bank at regulatory and other fora and events, as well as liaise in the above areas with key external and internal partners (including energy, water, transport, financial services, and private sector advisory services) on ICT / Digital Economy policy and regulatory matters and playing a leadership role in related fora.
- Master’s degree in telecommunications, engineering, law, economics, public policy or related field with a minimum of 8 years of experience in ICT / Digital Economy policy and regulation and/or ICT / Digital Economy project design and implementation, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Proven and robust expertise digital infrastructure policies, strategies, institutions, and regulations needed to support development and for the success of Bank interventions and national digital capabilities. Proven expertise on new areas of ICT competence, such as digital regulation, governance of data and platforms, cybersecurity, data protection etc is an added advantage
- Strong understanding of dependency and relationship of modern digital infrastructure and enabling regulatory environment with digital business models, platforms, solutions and services
- Knowledge of, and experience of working with, one or more cross-cutting themes that are shaping todays digital economy, such as gender, climate change, information security, freedom of information, media regulations etc
- Good understanding of role of private sector on digital infrastructure and familiarity with structuring arrangements between public and private sector investors
- Knowledge of digital technology and digitally enabled business model trends relevant to socio-economic development in the African context and enthusiasm to stay abreast of new innovations.
- Prior policy dialogue activities working with countries with limited capacity and influencing ICT sector reforms
- Proven experience advising governments or regulatory agencies on priority sector reforms issues and regulatory interventions in broadband infrastructure (fixed and mobile), conducting dialogue with regulators, and ability to develop best practice on regulation.
- Work experience in Africa, and good knowledge of sector issues in the region is an advantage. Experience of working in, or for, Fragile Conflict and Violence environments would be an additional plus.
- Excellent conceptual skills, including ability to think strategically about the role of ICT / Digital Technologies in other sectors and (more generally) the economy, as well as interface between telecom policy and digital transformation
- Excellent analytical and statistical skills, in data and evidence-based reforms, using metrics and indicators to determine numeric reform targets, take stock of developments over time, and use data driven results monitoring as an instrument to advance reforms. Combines a broad grasp of the relevant theory and principles and of involved practices and precedent.
- Strong technical and operational skills as evidenced in a proven track record in the delivery of project operations within the Bank (investment project financing, development policy lending, multi-sector operations) or similar type of products for other entities.
- Strong client engagement skills, taking responsibility and accountability for timely response to client queries, requests or needs, working to remove obstacles that may impede execution or project success.
- Excellent written communication skills as demonstrated in a proven track record of effectively delivering technical information in appropriate language to clients, the international development community, academia, and internal working groups.
- Excellent presentation skills, using charts, graphs and other data presentation techniques appropriately to communicate data, technical information, or complex concepts to non-specialists.
- Strong drive for results, taking personal ownership and accountability to meet deadlines and achieve agreed-upon results.
- Strong business judgment and analytical decision making, analyzing facts and data to support sound and logical business decisions.
- Proven ability to function effectively as a team member of multi-disciplinary teams, mentor staff, and resolve conflicts constructively.
- Willingness and ability to travel.
- Proficiency in English is essential and ability to interact with clients in French or Portuguese would be an advantage.