**Position: Project Assistant -**Agriculture
Job Type: Full Time
Reporting To: Project Officer – Livestock
· Minimum Qualification required: Bachelor’s degree or diploma in Animal husbandry, Veterinary Medicine, Animal Sciences, Agriculture, Rural development, or other relevant fields of study.
· Required experience in Agribusiness with at least 3 years of humanitarian work, UN, or Government Institutions.
· Membership of recognized Agriculture institution in Kenya is an added Advantage.
Location: Garissa 100%
Liaises: Project officers/Assistants and Liaises Finance, Field Coordinators & procurement, and Human Resources departments.
Job Field: Programs
Posted: 10th February 2023
Established in 1984 in the UK, Islamic Relief is an international NGO seeking to promote sustainable economic and social development by working with local communities through relief and development activities.
IR started operations in Kenya in 1993 on orphan’s sponsorship programme through a local CBO in Mandera District, Northern Kenya. It opened its fully-fledged office in March in 2006 at the height of drought in the Horn of Africa. Since then, IR has been providing humanitarian and development assistance to vulnerable communities. Over these years it has implemented various development and relief activities in Mandera. This has remarkably changed the lives of the vulnerable and disadvantaged communities. In January 2010, IRK extended its operation to Wajir County, neighboring Mandera, in January 2012 expanded to Garissa and Dadaab, and in October 2017 opened a programme office in Kilifi County. In 2018, Marsabit office was established and in 2020, Islamic Relief extended its humanitarian operations to Tana River County.
IR works with the needy and vulnerable regardless of race, religion or gender and currently implement our work within the following themes: Women& youth empowerment, Inclusive education, emergency programmes, Livelihood/resilience projects, Protection as well as Peace building.
IRK is currently focusing on three major themes: Sustainable Community Empowerment, Food security and livelihoods, Disaster Risk reduction (DRR); and Inclusive and protection.
Islamic Relief Kenya in pursuit to support and strengthen its operations, seeks to employ motivated, hardworking, and pro-active individuals to fill in the following position.
The project assistant will support in the implementation of Livestock and agriculture activities of the Strengthening Community Resilience and Economic Empowerment Programme (SHEEP Project) in Garissa County.
1. Overall, Purpose
The Project Assistant Agriculture will assist in the implementation of Livestock and agriculture activities of the Strengthening Community Resilience and Economic Empowerment Programme (SHEEP Project in Garissa County. He/she will directly report to the Project Officer-Livestock.
- Responsible for the overall field coordination, management & implementation of the Livestock and agriculture intervention
- Livestock and agriculture programme activities are implemented according to the annual work plan while maintaining the flexibility to shift priorities according to the changing context.
- Identify the groups and clients, their capacity building and training needs, particularly in the area’s livestock and agriculture production.
- Document community and stakeholders’ feedback and share with relevant stakeholders for appropriate action.
- Regular monitoring and evaluation of project implementation at field Level.
- Prepare and submit monthly quarterly and annual work plans.
- Prepare and submit timely monthly, quarterly, annually narrative, and financial reports.
- Ensure key lessons and best practices from the project are documented and shared with all key stakeholders.
- Provide technical support to the project for their sustainability by developing linkages and network.
- Formulate plans to provide trainings needed at various levels and different phases of the project and support to conduct training.
- Supervise and monitor groups & project training on regular basis to ensure that activities are conducted as planned.
- Prepare a monthly progress report detailing the activities performed during the month, highlighting achievements, and making recommendations for future activities.
- Supporting and keeping track of day-to-day activities implementation at the selected sites.
- Preparation of weekly project implementation plans/acceleration plans
- Ensure timely implementation of project activities as per the work plan budgetary, standards and procedures.
- Ensure filling of project documents in accordance with IRK policy and procedures.
- Ensure that livestock production & health activities that enable to promote the livestock products and marketing and this would create more income for communities.
- Ensure the preparation and implementation of the work plan activities, including M&E activities, meetings & visits of the project area conduct timely in coordination with the Field coordinator and MEAL officer
- Facilitate consultation, participation and feedback to the community in relation to Islamic relief program and policies
- Understands and puts into practice the responsibilities under Safeguarding and Do No Harm and ensuring that concerns are reported and managed in accordance with the appropriate procedures.
- Fulfil any additional assignment as deem necessary by the organization and/or as assigned by Line manager
- Minimum Qualification required: Bachelor’s degree or diploma in Animal husbandry, Veterinary Medicine, Animal Sciences, Agriculture, Rural development, or other relevant fields of study.
- Required experience in Agribusiness with at least 3 years of humanitarian work, UN, or Government Institutions
- Membership of recognized Agriculture institution in Kenya is an added Advantage.
- Ability to work on your own initiative as well as a part of a team.
- Proven analytical skills and ability to think strategically.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbally and in writing (both in English and Kiswahili, local language will be an added advantage)
- Effective IT Skills (Microsoft Office).
- Communication, tact, and negotiation skills.
- Conceptual understanding of participatory approach and sustainable development
- Conflict resolution and Problem-solving skills.
- Knowledge of local or Kiswahili language.
- Willing to travel to the remote areas.
- Sympathetic with aims, values & objectives of Islamic Relief.
- Knowledge of computer package, such as excel, word, PPT etc.
How to apply
· Please send us your cover letter and detailed CV, including your qualifications, experience, a copy of National ID, names, and addresses of three referees, a working e-mail address and daytime telephone contacts. The forwarding e-mail and cover letter must clearly indicate the position title on the subject line. Send your application to Recruitment.email@example.com by Thursday 16th. February 2023.
· Qualified female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
· Please note that, this recruitment shortlisting will be done on a rolling basis.
· Applicants should be sympathetic to the values of Islamic Relief: (Sincerity, Excellence, Compassion, Social Justice, and Custodianship)
Disclaimers: The Islamic relief does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process thus during application, interviews processes, offer/ contract, or training.
Note*: Islamic Relief is an equal opportunities employer.*