International IDEA is leading a gender consortium in implementing the ‘Enhancing Women in Political Participation’ project. The ‘two phase’ project known as the Women in Political Participation (WPP) is funded by SIDA. The consortium includes IDEA, Forum for African Women’s Education (FAWE), The African Women’s Development and Communication Network (FEMNET), Gender Links, University of Cheikh Anta Diop Gender Laboratory (IFAN – UCAD), PADARE, and Women and Law Southern Africa (WLSA). The project is implemented in Botswana, Democratic Republic of Congo, Eswatini, Cote d’Ivoire, Kenya, Senegal, Tanzania and Zimbabwe. This undertaking, , is a multi-year project with an overall goal to increase the political participation and representation of women in Africa in line with the Maputo Protocol of 2003, various associated sub-regional protocols and standards and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
The main objective of this project is to contribute to the enhancement of women’s political participation in Africa with a view to advancing the goal of gender equality in politics and governance. This overarching objective has been defined in full cognisance of the fact that poor levels of women’s political participation has existed for a long time and, in consequence, experience has been built and work carried out over time by an array of institutions, actors, networks, and campaigners aimed at redressing the situation. Recognising that the quest for improving greater participation of women has a rich history and the groups with which the project will aim to collaborate have cognate experiences of their own, an effort will be made by the project to build on the lessons of experience in order to add strategic value and break new ground.
Based in Nairobi, Kenya*, International IDEA seeks to appoint:*
FINANCE AND ADMINISTRATIVE MANAGER
The Finance and Administrative Manager is responsible for providing financial and administration oversight, quality assurance and support to the WPP project. The Finance and Administrative Manager will act as a focal point for the management of the project budget.
Key responsibilities for this position include:
- Guides overall financial compliance and quality control of the project;
- Monitors financial management, compliance and reporting of implementing partners;
- Conducts partnership capacity assessments in liaison with the project team and in accordance to International IDEA standards.
- Builds capacity of project implementing partners on the project finance requirements, standards, policies and procedures;
- Analyses and presents monthly project financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicates monthly and annual reports; collates financial reporting materials for all donor segments, and oversees all financial and project accounting;
- Oversees the processing of payments and activity budget reconciliations, and ensures all transactions are accurately recorded in the financial management system;
- Provides support and guidance to the Programme Manager on preparation and revision of project/activity budgets in conformity with the applicable policies and procedures; Prepares the budget breakdown and budget monitoring for the project;
- Prepares project expenditure reports and analysis and assists the Head of Finance and Operations in tracking financial progress of the project as required;
- Performs all duties related to the Supplier’s Ledger including processing of invoices, payments, maintenance of supplier accounts and recording of transactions, ensuring that transactions are properly authorized in accordance with delegated authority;
- Manages daily cashier activities ensuring adherence to International IDEA’s policies and procedures, accounting principles and best practices; establishes and maintains cash controls;
- Monitors cash flow and ensures adequate cash levels are maintained;
- Sets up grant financial schedule and aligns grant budget with UBW budget;
- Works with the regional Procurement and Compliance Officer on matters related to project procurement; Develops partnership agreements and consultant/supplier contracts; ensures compliance with International IDEA policies and procedures and ensures the Institute’s financial and commercial interest are protected;
- Advises project staff on internal financial related policies and procedures and their use (e.g. travel policy, reimbursement policy, etc.);
- Monitors adherence to donor agreement requirements within the framework of International IDEA’s internal policies and procedures, ensuring focus is on delivery of reporting, invoicing and disbursement timelines;
- Arranges the project’s independent audits, manages pre-audit preparations and prepares responses to audit inquiries in consultation with the Head of Finance and Operations;
The Finance and Administrative Manager must possess and be able to demonstrate:
- University degree in business, financial management or other relevant discipline;
- Full or part professional qualifications in finance and accounting, for example ACCA is considered an advantage;
- A minimum of seven (7) years of progressively responsible professional experience in project/programme management, administration, including solid experience in planning and management of project grants, audits, or related areas is required, as is experience in the monitoring and evaluation of grants;
- Technical knowledge and skills in project design, procurement and contracting, tendering, contract design, multi-party agreements and acquittal of funds, as well as ability to draft non-routine contractual instruments and use independent judgment in the resolution of contract issues;
- A minimum of three (3) years’ experience supervising and directing individuals and small teams;
- Knowledge and experience using multi-country financial systems including processing on-site payments in different African countries.
- Experience of working in an international context, e.g. in an intergovernmental organization, would be considered an advantage.
- Fluency in written and oral English required. Knowledge of French and Swahili is considered an asset.
Please note as this is a local post, International IDEA will bear no costs relating to relocation of the selected candidate to the duty station. This position is open to those legally authorized to live and work in Kenya for the duration of the contract. International IDEA is not able to support work permit applications.
Fixed term appointment until 31 December 2024.
International IDEA is an equal opportunity employer which seeks to further diversify its staff in terms of gender, culture and nationality.
How to apply
View the full job description and application instructions on the Vacancies page at www.actionappointments.co.za and email your application by Sunday 26th February 2023 to firstname.lastname@example.org