International IDEA is leading a gender consortium in implementing the ‘Enhancing Women in Political Participation’ project. The ‘two phase’ project known as the Women in Political Participation (WPP) is funded by SIDA in Ethiopia. The consortium includes IDEA, Forum for African Women’s Education (FAWE), The African Women’s Development and Communication Network (FEMNET), Gender Links, University of Cheikh Anta Diop Gender Laboratory (IFAN – UCAD), PADARE, and Women and Law Southern Africa (WLSA). The project is implemented in Botswana, Democratic Republic of Congo, Eswatini, Cote d’Ivoire, Kenya, Senegal, Tanzania and Zimbabwe. This undertaking, which is funded by the Embassy of Sweden in Ethiopia, is a four-year project with an overall goal to increase the political participation and representation of women in Africa in line with the Maputo Protocol of 2003, various associated sub-regional protocols and standards and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
The main objective of this project is to contribute to the enhancement of women’s political participation in Africa with a view to advancing the goal of gender equality in politics and democratic governance. This overarching objective has been defined in full cognisance of the fact that poor levels of women’s political participation has existed for a long time and, in consequence, experience has been built and work carried out over time by an array of institutions, actors, networks, and campaigners aimed at redressing the situation. Recognising that the quest for improving greater participation of women has a rich history and the groups with which the project will aim to collaborate have cognate experiences of their own, an effort will be made by the project to build on the lessons of experience in order to add strategic value and break new ground.
To achieve its goal, IDEA and the partners works with, among others; political parties, public interest groups (media, institutions that are custodians of customary and religious law), election management bodies, parliaments, gender/ women’s ministries and Regional economic communities.
International IDEA is, therefore, seeking to recruit a Programme Manager who will be responsible for technical leadership and implementation of the project’s goals and realization of the intended impacts in line with IDEA policies.
With a proven track record of project management within the area of democracy and governance support, with a strong focus on project planning and implementation, and importantly gender programming, the Programme Manager will oversee the execution of project delivery, ensuring close communication and coordination with co-implementing partners and the donor. The position also provides direction and ensures cohesion of the project partners on aspects of programming and compliance with IDEA’s and donor requirements.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Leads and coordinates the preparation, implementation, quality assurance, and monitoring and reporting of all project activities as identified in the Project Document and annual workplans, ensuring compliance with donor and International IDEA regulations and coherence of the overall project;
- Provides strategic guidance to the WPP team for the management, facilitation and support to the work of the consortium;
- Assesses and analyses developments in the arena of gender and politics in Africa and globally, and leads updates and revisions of project activities, and develops op-eds and policy briefs;
- Ensures that a rights-based approach and a gender and diversity perspective are integrated in project planning and implementation of activities;
- Is accountable for project finances and grant management, and ensures that financial planning supports the delivery of project results and demonstrates value for money;
- Manages and provides direction and feedback to project partners on aspects of programming, ensuring that all requirements are met;
- Represents WPP at relevant coordination meetings;
- Maintains regular communication with the donor, and provides timely project related progress reports;
- Ensures consistent liaison, consultation and engagement with key project partners and stakeholders;
- Manages the monitoring, reporting, and evaluation of the project ensuring strategic and timely communication to the donor and to International IDEA Headquarters;
- Tracks performance linked to disbursement of funds to partners and grantees;
- Oversees the project risk assessment and management, actively manages risks and regularly updates the risk management strategy in line with International IDEA policies and procedures;
- Documents lessons learned, stories, case studies and evidence related to the delivery of project results, linking to the broader policy engagement communication, publicity and visibility effort both locally and internationally;
- Manages and empowers a team of technical staff, fostering a spirit of collaboration, support and team cohesion; encourages their professional development, particularly in the areas of monitoring and reporting.
- Combines in-depth knowledge, acquired through academic achievements, excellent skills including managerial skills and relevant experience in their field;
- Manages assigned projects throughout the project life cycle, i.e. from strategic planning and project design, funding and budgeting to project assessment and accountability; leads meetings and discussions, supervises publications and input from external providers;
- Has contributed to publications on their relevant subject; is recognized as a knowledge resource in his/her broad professional community;
- Has the intellectual leadership to integrate innovation into his/her field of expertise;
- Directly manages a team of contributors to the project, including staff members and consultants;
- Fosters team-based activities in his/her unit; collaborates with other entities of the Institute;
- Acts as a model and mentor for colleagues;
- Is expected to travel globally to any geographical area involved in his/her projects;
- Follows internal procedures to ensure high standards of performance and compliance with Institutional guidelines;
- Acts in accordance with International IDEA’s Core Values; Respect, Integrity and Professionalism;
- Integrates a gender and diversity perspective in all activities.
- Director, Africa and West Asia Region
Education and Experience
- A minimum of six (6) years of project management, strategic and advisory experience in the field of democracy and governance support, with a focus on gender, in developing country contexts, preferably in Africa;
- At least three (3) years’ experience in management positions;
- Proven experience of project coordination and management during all stages of the project cycle in developing country contexts, including experience with flexible and adaptive project delivery is essential;
- Experience working with major development partners is essential;
- Experience working with government units, regional political bodies, the African Union and Member States is essential.
- Experience managing multi-partner consortiums/projects is desirable;
- Excellent knowledge of written and oral English required. Knowledge of written and oral French is considered an asset.
Terms of Contract:
- International Post
- Fixed term appointment until 31 December 2024
- Remuneration – EUR 5 884 NET per month + benefits
Applying for this position:
- Applications should be submitted no later than 23:59 (CET) 28 February 2023.
- Please note that all applications must be made in English.
- Evaluation of qualified candidates will include a written test assessment and up to two (2) interviews.
- Candidates selected to proceed to the next stage of the process will be contacted once all applications have been carefully reviewed.
- All candidates will be notified on the status of their application via email once the process has been finalized
International IDEA is an equal opportunity employer which seeks to further diversify its staff in terms of gender, culture and nationality
How to apply
Please visit the link: