Justdiggit is a fast-growing NGO working on landscape restoration in Africa. We are looking for an experienced program manager to lead our efforts in impact communication for the Restore Africa program.
Justdiggit helps farmers in Sub-Saharan Africa to restore degraded landscapes using rainwater harvesting, agroforestry and climate resilient agriculture. We have successfully been working on landscape restoration programs at scale in Kenya and Tanzania for the past years and are now expanding to other countries.
Using communication to scale impact
In all projects we aim to be as innovative as possible with a distinct emphasis on communication to complement more traditional program approaches. This ranges from the use of video tours, SMS-services, billboards, national campaigns and radio programming to the use of digital technology such as smartphone and smart feature phone applications.
We have set up a new line of activities which we call Boosting Other Programs. Here we work in consortia implementing landscape restoration programs, that are led by other NGOs. In these consortia we focus on our role as expert in impact communication and help to scale the impact of the field work done by our consortium partners.
We are now starting in Kenya with this approach, in a consortium led by WorldVision Kenya and amongst others, Self Help Africa, ICRAF and the Greenbelt Movement as part of the “Restore Africa” program, which is initiated by the Global Evergreening Alliance
How we work
We believe in the power of diverse teams comprising of people with different specialties. We call this Landscape teams. A Landscape team is headed by a Landscape Manager and typically consists of a person for technical & quality aspects, finance, communications, technology, monitoring & evaluation and business development. These persons work in multiple landscape teams throughout the Justdiggit organization. In this role, you will be heading such a team.
As an African-European organization, our staff is based in multiple countries but our main hubs are the Amsterdam office and the Regional Office East Africa in Nairobi. This means that a landscape team works across continents and a lot of the internal communication is done remote.
Oversee and manage all Justdiggit Restore Africa activities in the role of Landscape Manager Restore Africa. This comprises of but is not limited to all the general aspects of program management, such as:
- Stakeholder management outside and inside the organization;
- Leadership of the Landscape Team Restore Africa;
- Project development and design in close cooperation with our partners;
- Contracting partners and performing due diligence;
- Working with partners to ensure projects are delivered on time and within budget;
- Narrative and financial reporting to our donors and consortium partners.
Your main duty station will be Nairobi, in which you will work from the Regional Office East Africa. You will travel frequently to our projects and partners in the field in Kenya.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- 10 years of work experience, of which >5 years as a program manager in international development;
- Knowledge of, experience in or strong affinity with landscape restoration, soil- and water conservation or agro-forestry projects in developing countries;
- Knowledge of, experience in or strong affinity with the use of communication to scale impact of development programs;
- Experience in leading international teams;
- Independent and proactive, able to create something out of nothing. You will do a lot of pioneering work;
- Easy to work with and culturally sensitive: you will work across continents and time zones with Justdiggit staff from all over the world;
- Fluent in English and preferably also in Kiswahili
- Be part of a great mission: regreen our planet!
- As part of a fast-growing organization, there will be ample room for personal and professional development.
- Great colleagues and a diverse team
How to apply
If you believe you are the right person for this role,please send your CV and motivation letter to email@example.com before January 27th 2023 with “Program Manager Impact Communication” in the subject line.