- Lead provision of training, technical support, and advice on monitoring in PCAs to partners in ZSL and non-ZSL supported sites, focusing on common monitoring methods, including but not limited to the SMART Approach.
- Lead delivery and management of PCA monitoring projects in collaboration with internal and external partners, including support for and implementation of survey design, data collection, data management, and analysis and reporting, with the ultimate aim of enabling partners to use results to inform and improve PCA management.
- Specific responsibility for oversight of PCA monitoring projects under ZSL’s Kenya country programme, and for provision of relevant support for ZSL Kenya projects, including data management, analysis, reporting, and GIS mapping.
- Work with experts across and outside ZSL to develop and disseminate best practice guidance and tools for PCA management and protection, and encourage use and sharing of best practice by ZSL conservation projects.
- Support development of PCA projects, in line with Kenya Country Programme and Monitoring & Technology Programme strategic priorities.
- Work with the Fundraising department, and other colleagues as appropriate, to seek new funding opportunities and develop fundraising proposals.
- Promote and facilitate collaboration between ZSL teams around PCA monitoring, and support coordination and integration of PCA monitoring efforts, resources, and capacity across ZSL.
- Support engagement with key PCA partnerships, including, but not limited to, the SMART Partnership, and represent ZSL as an expert member of relevant working groups.
- Contribute towards the publication of technical publications and guidance
The duties and responsibilities described are not a comprehensive list and additional tasks
may be assigned from time to time that are in line with the level of the role.
Values and behaviours for people management
- Collaborative: creates an engaging environment where people feel comfortable asking for help or support
- Ethical: creates a culture which ensures everyone is treated fairly with dignity and respect
- Impactful: delivers results on time and to the agreed standards
- Inclusive: makes decisions that promote transparency and inclusion
- Innovative: is forward thinking and able to see the broader picture when planning and organising work
- Inspiring: has self-awareness and seeks feedback to better understand own style, approach and impact on team/staff motivation
Experience, knowledge, and skills
- University degree in a relevant field, e.g. biology, ecology, conservation science.
- Excellent conservation monitoring skills, with significant experience using and knowledge of a range of methods, tools, and technologies relevant to management of Protected and Conserved Areas (PCAs), such as SMART, camera trapping, EarthRanger, and the METT. Experience with SMART is essential.
- Strong capacity development skills, with significant experience organising and delivering technical training courses, materials, and support.
- Understanding and strong experience of working for or with NGOs.
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to collect, organise, analyse, and disseminate significant amounts of information with attention to detail and accuracy. Experience with GIS is essential.
- Good communications skills. Able to express complex information in a simple and succinct manner.
- Strong problem-solving skills, and willingness to take the initiative.
- Highly developed planning, coordination, and project management skills, able to organise a substantial workload comprised of diverse tasks and responsibilities.
- Excellent team management skills, able to motivate a diverse team based in different locations.
- Experience delivering training workshops for large groups of people, and providing support related to PCA monitoring and management.
- Experience working with government agencies and community-based organisations.
- Knowledge of statistics and experience using statistical packages for analysing datasets (SPSS, R, etc.)
- The postholder will be required to travel within Kenya on a regular basis, including to field sites, such as the Tsavo Conservation Area, and Nairobi. There may be opportunities to travel to partner sites in countries around the world, ZSL’s UK base, and conferences and workshops as required.
- The postholder will generally work normal office hours when not delivering training but there will sometimes be a requirement to work out-of-office hours or over weekends, and to travel over weekends.
- The postholder is expected to nurture and maintain good working relationships with staff in ZSL’s Kenya country and Monitoring & Technology programmes, and to develop good relationships with other staff in ZSL, using tact, sensitivity, and diplomacy as appropriate.
- The postholder will be one of ZSL’s key representative in Kenya and must therefore ensure a professional representation of the Society and its work.
- The postholder is expected to build collaborations and opportunities with strategic partners and stakeholders.
- Strong commitment to creating a culture that lives ZSL values and commitment to safeguarding, equality and diversity (collaborative, inspiring, inclusive, innovative, impactful and ethical)
- To comply with and promote Health and Safety policies and procedures and to undertake recommended Health and Safety training as and when necessary.
- To ensure that the policy for equality of opportunity is adhered to and promoted in all aspects of the postholder’s work.
- To ensure effective quality control and continuous improvement in all aspects of the work and responsibilities attached to this post.
- Demonstrate professionalism towards sensitive and confidential information.
- To be committed to professional self-development, through participation in in-service training as necessary for the successful carrying out of the job.
- To undertake such other duties as are commensurate with the grade of the post.
How to apply
Applicants will need to upload their CV and covering letter (detailing relevant experience and skills, stating why they want the position and including details of availability) and can do this by clicking the link .