The African Population and Health Research Center (APHRC) is an African-led and Africa-based international research institution headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya. APHRC conducts policy-relevant research on population, health, education, urbanization and related development issues in sub-Saharan Africa.
APHRC seeks to recruit a Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning and Communications Specialist to join the Measurement Evaluation and Learning (MEL) team.
The MEL and Communications Officer will lead communication on MEL in collaboration with Policy Engagement and Communication (PEC) Division at the Center to synthesize, analyze and utilize the MEL quantitative and qualitative data obtained with the goal of developing impact stories and case studies. S/he will also support the Center’s MEL agenda as well as knowledge translation, and facilitate the sharing of best practices -by providing mechanisms for continuous improvement of the MEL implementation processes towards set targets, and achievement of impact as envisioned by the Center’s 2022-2026 Strategic Plan.
Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Evidence Uptake
- Provide monitoring, evaluation and learning technical support to divisions, themes and sub-themes during proposal writing, implementation and program review;
- Provide technical support in the preparation of evaluation findings, reports and articles for appropriate audiences/stakeholders;
- Lead the production of any MEL documents that will be used for publicity, visibility and advocacy;
- Regularly pitch impact and success story ideas, and flag opportunities to share new or emerging data on social media;
- Design and develop M&E tools, result frameworks, logic models, and theory of change upon request;
- Take the lead in research and evaluations by developing suitable and innovative methodologies and approaches in survey design and implementation at APHRC;
- Develop and review relevant TORs for the monitoring, evaluation, and learning functions;
- Lead in reviewing evaluation reports across divisions, themes and sub-themes;
- Contribute to the preparation of monthly program reports, quarterly Senior Management Team reports and annual reports as well as project M&E reports;
- Ensure timely issue resolution for requests made by themes and sub-themes through the APHRC MEL helpdesk to meet the MEL requirements across the Center;
- Ensure relevant and timely M&E information is utilized for routine programs-internal reflection on the effectiveness or need for adaptation to strategies;
- Provide technical support for M&E data analysis and reporting.
Learning, Knowledge Translation and Communication
- Contribute to the synthesis of MEL evidence with strategic information for evidence-informed decision-making (EIDM);
- Manage the synthesis of programmatic outcomes and pathways to impact and their translation into impact stories and case studies;
- Facilitate sharing of best practices among partners (coordinating cross-pollination and a Community of Practice);
- Create graphic design materials for MEL reports including quarterly performance reports, annual reports, Pause & Reflect reports, and impact-evidence reports;
- Work alongside the Knowledge Management and Learning Specialist to streamline knowledge translation activities;
- Work alongside the Policy Engagement and Communication (PEC) teams to communicate MEL findings and frameworks internally and externally;
- Ensure that all published content is delivered to high standards and in line with the APHRC guidelines through copy editing;
- Liaise with designers and external suppliers to ensure assets are produced on time, in budget, and to the required standard;
- Facilitate cross-division/theme learning and best practice transfer through documentation and sharing of lessons learned for organizational learning;
- In collaboration with the Knowledge Management and Learning Specialist, organize knowledge-sharing and learning events, Pause and Reflect sessions with staff or external key partners;
- Engage and support staff in identifying learning opportunities.
MEL Systems Strengthening and Capacity Strengthening
- Lead the set-up, operationalize and coordinate a MEL Community of Practice;
- Lead in the development and maintenance of the MEL platform alongside the software developer;
- Contribute to the development of an impact tracking model in collaboration with PEC teams;
- Ensure integration of APHRC’s MEL systems with dissemination platforms from PEC teams;
- Lead in capacity strengthening of APHRC staff on MEL systems and processes;
- Provide training to staff and partners to strengthen core MEL skills.
Qualifications, experience and skills:
- Masters degree in monitoring and evaluation, project management, social sciences or related discipline.
- At least 7 years of relevant experience in monitoring and evaluation.
- Experience implementing MEL activities at institutional level.
- Strong understanding of core MEL principles and practices.
- Experience in participating in organizational strengthening and cohesiveness initiatives.
- Strong research and data analysis skills.
- Proven experience in leading learning initiatives and knowledge translation activities.
- Strong interpersonal skills to work collaboratively in a diverse environment.
- Exceptional organizational and coordination skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English is essential.
This position is classified under Nationally Recruited Positions (NRP), Grade III in our scales.
How to apply
Interested candidates are encouraged to apply through our recruitment portal https://aphrc.org/vacancies/ by March 20, 2023. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted; shortlisted candidates will be required to have a Police Clearance Certificate. Cover letters should be addressed to:
The Human Resources Officer
African Population and Health Research Center, Inc
APHRC Campus, Manga Close, off Kirawa Road, Kitisuru
P. O. Box 10787-GPO, Nairobi
APHRC is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to the protection of vulnerable persons