Planning, organizing and carrying out laboratory activities and supervising the laboratory staff according to MSF protocols, security measures and hygiene standards, in order to support the MSF medical team in the diagnosis of patients’ diseases.
- Participating in the project planning and follow-up and reviewing the laboratory budget when necessary in order to support MSF’s medical activities.
- Ensuring the compliance of MSF hygiene and safety protocols, both individually and collectively as well as informing staff of existing biological risks.
- Performing laboratory tests and carrying out sample collection (serology, hematology, biochemistry, bacteriology, parasitology …) in accordance with prescriptions as well as ensuring that quality control tests are carried out regularly. Informing the doctor of the results of the tests and keeping a record of the analysis with data from patients.
- Ensuring proper management (cleaning, maintenance, arranging) of all laboratory equipment and the adequate supply of needed equipment and material in order to prevent stock-outs. This includes being responsible for all required automatic instrument calibration, ensuring that no material is taken out of laboratories without prior authorization and carrying out a proper storage system and conditions, inventory, etc. In cooperation with logistics department, ensuring that cold chain is properly maintained in Laboratory areas for both, samples and reagents.
- In the absence of a Laboratory Manager, ensuring proper registration and needs of all lab related activities and implementing a correct use of the associated management tool (EpyTryp. Etc.) in order to have a proper recording of laboratory activities. Preparing and sending slides/samples for external quality control.
- Supervising, in close coordination with the Hospital Director, the HR department, the associated processes (recruitment, training/induction, coaching, evaluation, potential detection, development and communication) of the staff under his/her responsibility in order to ensure both the sizing and the amount of knowledge required
- Ensuring that all staff using medical devices are qualified and trained. Ensuring cleaning and minor maintenance tasks are performed according to the protocols. Reporting any malfunction to the project biomedical service.
- Producing regular reports on the testing and on any issues / problems related to laboratory personnel and / or the material used.
MSF Section/Context Specific Accountabilities
- Day-to-day running and coordination of all laboratory activities. On the job and theoretical teaching/training of auxiliary laboratory technician’s frequent supervision and support to the auxiliary lab tech working in the HP.
- Weekly blood supply management through deputy-Medical Coordinator request if require from the donor
- Collect samples in an appropriate manner and according to the criteria in place, for further processing of sample in other locations (Nairobi, Lancet MSFF etc.). Ensure that results reach their destination timely.
- Ensure the equipment is available, handled carefully and that consumable goods are available and ordered in due time.
- Facilitate any needs relating to epidemic surveillance.
- Supervise the health post and lab consumable material and drugs, weekly order is done according to the schedule agreed upon by project pharmacy managers, follow-up of daily, and weekly registration books and reports. The storage conditions, inventories, follow-up of expired drugs and their destruction, and drugs consumption related to departments.
- Part of the emergency team and also on–call providing support for emergency laboratory investigations at short notice round the clock as needed.
- Use appropriate, PPE’s provided by the facility while in the clinical setting and also when attending to patients.
- Support capacity building of nurses, clinical officers and doctors in regards to making them proficient to perform point-of-care rapid tests on their own.
- Essential Laboratory Technician diploma /degree.
- Essential 2 years’ experience in a laboratory, preferably as a Lab Tech
- Desirable in MSF or another NGO, desirable in a clinical laboratory
- Mission language essential (English). Local language desirable (Somali/Kiswahili)
- Essential computer literacy (word, excel and internet)
- Results, teamwork, flexibility, commitment, service