- Respect for Diversity and Team Work
- Think Africa Above all
- Transparency and Accountability
- Integrity and Impartiality
- Efficiency and Professionalism
- Information and Knowledge Sharing
Reports to: Project Officer Resilient African Feeds and Fodder Systems (RAFFS) Project
Directorate/Department: Agriculture, Rural Development, Blue Economy and Sustainable Development
Number of Direct Reports: 0
Number of Indirect Reports: 0
Job Grade: P3
Number of Positions: 01
Contract Type: Short Term/Consultancy
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
The African Union Inter-African Bureau for Animal Resources (AU-IBAR) is a specialized technical office of the Department Agriculture, Rural Development, Blue Economy and Sustainable Environment (DARBE) of the African Union Commission (AUC). The vision of AU-IBAR is: “An Africa in which animal resources contribute significantly to integration, prosperity and peace”. Its Mission is: to provide leadership and integrated support services for the development of animal resources in Africa.
AU-IBAR’s mandate is to support and coordinate the sustainable development and utilization of animal resources (livestock, fisheries and wildlife) to enhance nutrition and food security and contribute to the wellbeing and prosperity of the people in the Member States of the AU. AU-IBAR is the main vehicle for the AU to develop appropriate and independent expertise to support and coordinate the sustainable development and utilization of animal resources to enhance food and nutrition security and contribute to the wellbeing and prosperity of the people in the AU Member States.
AU-IBAR is implementing an emergency three-year action titled “Evidence Driven Short Term Solutions to Build Resilience and Address the Adverse Effects of Crises on African Feed and Fodder Systems”, with short title of Resilient African Feed and Fodder System (RAFFS). The purpose of RAFFS action is “to understand the impact of the Triple Global Crises (3C’s: Climate-Change, Covid-19, and Russia-Ukraine Conflict Crisis) on feed and fodder systems, and to build systematic capacities for data analytics for evidenced based decision making; policy, regulatory and institutional reform; and promotion of viable business and partnership models and solutions to address the vulnerabilities of Africa’s feed and fodder systems.
The Project Goal is to respond to the worsening food and nutrition security occasioned by recent crises that have negatively impacted on African feed and fodder systems and production of animal sourced foods.”
Purpose: To harness evidence driven solutions for short term interventions to enhance access to affordable and quality feed and fodder critical to ensuring sustainable production of animal sourced foods.
The position of the Information Systems and Data Analytics Expert will support delivery of the Resilient African Feed and Fodder Systems Project through analytical capacity, innovative solutions, data management, data infrastructure and capacities upgrades, and data management ecosystems. The successful candidate will work with the Animal Production, Natural Resource Management and Resilience Expert to coordinate the establishment of a Knowledge and Analytical Ecosystem for Informing Evidence Based Solutions including the assessment on impact of the recent and on-going global crises on the African feed and fodder systems, data management processes and support the implementation of strategies to ensure the data analytics are deployed in a timely manner and ensure generation of reports.
- Coordinate large-scale studies and assessments in multiple Member States and Regional Economic Communities (RECs) in the livestock sector.
- Undertake data analytics to support decision making and policy reform.
- Provide technical support and mentoring for improved digital capacities.
- Support the implementation of the harmonized data management strategies and ecosystems in the livestock sector.
- Ensure the requisite digital infrastructure, institutional and technical capacities are built for operationalization.
- Support improvement in data ecosystems including architecture, governance and management processes.
- Support systematic capacity building for data ecosystems and analytics.
- Take the lead in designing and methodological work for the RAFFS Project assessments.
- Promote operationalization of data management platforms and ecosystem at continental, regional and national levels.
- Take lead in working with the Member States in consultative processes to support implementation of country-action plans for improved data management systems for enhanced capacities to response to feed and fodder shortages.
- Improvement and support of integrated multi-actor data infrastructure upgrade and capacity development for the implementing Member States
- Build systemic capacity for data analytics for decision making, policy, regulatory and institutional reform and attracting increased investment.
- Promote sustainable planning and data management of the feed and fodder sub-sector ecosystems.
- Submit a monthly progress report on the implementation of this contract.
Academic and Professional Qualifications
- A minimum of post-graduate University degree (Master’s degree) in Computer Science or Information Technology or related degree. A PhD will be considered as an added advantage.
- Professional qualification in Data Science or Statistics.
- Any other relevant industry professional certification (e.g. System Engineer, Digital Transformation, etc).
- Minimum of five (5) years of progressive work experience in the field of digital innovation, digital strategies, digital change management and corporate ICT services in agriculture/livestock industry.
- Proven experience in implementing Big Data analytics project (s).
- Minimum of five (5) years’ experience at senior level and in managing complex agriculture and livestock data processes.
- Experience in identification and application of digital innovation and technologies in agriculture or livestock industry.
- Experience in managing agricultural data as a service, including advancing the use of mobile applications.
- Good networking skills and ability to maintain positive and constructive dialogue and relationships with key institutions operating in the regions;
- Self-starter with the ability to strategically plan own work and follow-up on implementation;
- Sector related project development, management and implementation skills at national, regional and continental levels;
- Very strong writing, analytical and communication skills are necessary;
- Ability to complete assignments and tasks on time;
- Demonstrated ability to provide strong leadership and foster team environment is required.
- Strategic Perspective
- Developing Others
- Change Management
- Managing Risk
- Building Relationships
- Learning Orientation
- Communicating with impact
- Conceptual Thinking
- Job Knowledge and information sharing
- Drive for Results
- Fosters Innovation
The consultancy will be for a period of six (6) months renewable subject to performance, availability of funds.
The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Kiswahili, Portuguese, and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage.
Criteria Scores (%)
General Experience 30
Skills and Competencies 45
Indicative salary, according to AU regulation, of US $ 44,994.72 (International Staff Salary) or US $37,514.22 (National Staff Salary) for Level P3 Step 5, per 6 months of contracting.
Payment shall be made on a monthly basis upon approval of progress reports.
Expenses for travel outside the duty station agreed with AU-IBAR, will be covered separately in accordance with the applicable African Union Commission rules and regulations.
Medical and Travel Cover for Consultant
The consultant will be responsible for his/her medical and travel insurance cover/s during the duration of the consultancy.
The consultant will be stationed in AU-IBAR offices in Nairobi, Kenya. Applicants should ensure that they have the capacity (logistics, permits etc.) to undertake this assignment from Nairobi.
Travel on specific assignments will be agreed with the AU-IBAR Management.
Supervision and Reporting
The successful candidate will be under the direct supervision of the Project Officer and overall supervision by the Director of AU-IBAR.
How to apply
Submission of Applications
Applications should be submitted through email to: email@example.com should include the title “Information Systems and Data Analytics Expert” in the subject of the email.
Applications should include the following:
- a) A Letter of Interest highlighting competence and suitability for the Position
- b) Detailed curriculum vitae
- c) Copies of academic and professional qualifications
- d) Completed declaration on exclusion criteria in the format attached
- e) Copies of identification documents
A Personal Data Protection and Privacy Statement is also attached as information for the applicants.
Applications should be submitted to the address given above by 17:00hrs, 2nd April 2023, Nairobi Local Time.