REF NO: HIHEA/09-2023/OP
Hand in Hand Eastern Africa (HiH EA) is a registered Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) in Kenya working for the economic and social empowerment of its poorest citizens to enable program participants to lift themselves out of poverty and vulnerability. HiH EA is part of the Hand in Hand (HiH) network that seeks to reduce poverty through sustainable job creation. In this assignment, HIH EA seeks to engage a waste management expert for one week to develop a simplified training curriculum to help graduate members in the waste value chain in the project collect higher volumes of plastic, accelerate incomes, and support creating more jobs.
The curriculum will be utilized in training by HIH EA to impact the following skills:
- Knowledge of sustainable waste management systems
- Understanding different types of waste, their handling, storage, disposal requirements, and their potential effect on the environment.
- Understand and apply the waste management hierarchy for sustainable development
- Understand waste disposal & treatment methods
- Knowledge of Waste minimization and recycling
- Understanding the environmental impact of waste
- Identification of the cost-effectiveness of managing waste efficiently
- Insight on new recycling technologies & circular economy
- Understanding of legislation and compliance with waste regulations
The expert is also expected to advice (and include in the curriculum) any other skills the program can focus on.
- A diploma in waste management or environmental science.
- At least 5 – years of working experience in waste management and implementing circular economy strategies
- Experience with commonly used curriculum development tools and facilitating training.
- Demonstrated experience in facilitating waste management and sustainability initiatives
- Knowledge of waste and resources policy and regulatory mandates.
- Experience in conducting monitoring and evaluation of waste and environment management initiatives. Experience conducting EIAs is an added advantage.
- Demonstrate knowledge of solid waste management and the 3Rs (Recycle, Reuse and Recycle challenges.
How to apply
The deadline for submission of proposals (Financial and technical concepts) is Monday 13th March 2023. Financial proposal to be submitted in Kenya Shillings. These should be submitted via email to: email@example.com using the reference number as the email subject.