The job holder will be responsible for the oversight and coordination of financial management and accounting services through the implementation of University financial policies and regulations.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform financial management duties, including generating financial data, compiling and submitting reports, analyzing industry trends and assessing the financial position of the University.
- Oversee the operations and development of the University’s Finance Department, including creating and reviewing policies, budgeting, training and conducting regular assessments of financial procedures.
- Coordinate the preparation of quarterly and annual account reconciliations, monitor and enforce compliance with tax and financial reporting standards and assist with cash flow forecasting.
- Formulate, develop and implement financial policies for the Finance Department to ensure that they are in line with financial regulations and accounting standards.
- Provide advice to University Management on the status of financial statements in regard to true and fair representation before being submitted to the auditors for examination.
- Control the financial resources to ensure optimal utilization of financial resources through proper allocation of funds to various Departments in the Institution.
- Develop and oversee implementation of risk management framework to protect the University from risks associated with resource utilization.
- Approve, authorize and monitor the University expenditure to ensure budgetary control is strictly adhered to for proper utilization of the University resources.
- Prepare comprehensive financial statements for publication and presentation to the relevant regulatory bodies to show the status of the University.
- Liaise with external and internal auditors on the audit of the University’s books of accounts and maintenance of good working relationships.
- Evaluate staff in the Finance Department to ensure adherence to the performance targets.
- Provide advice to the University on financial matters, including financial status, source of funds, donors and how to allocate funds to various projects that are viable to the University.
- Ensure the integrity of accounting information by reviewing account issues for compliance and establishing quality control over accounting transactions and financial reporting.
- Oversee maintenance of supporting documents for a reliable and easy-to-follow audit trail.
- Review, plan, design, develop, coordinate and implement accounting services and systems in the University.
- Ensure timely submission of the University financial statements and reports.
- Formulate and implement the Financial strategies that will support the implementation of the overall University strategic plan.
- Participate in developing new business, identifying new funding opportunities, drafting prospective budgets, and determining the cost-effectiveness of prospective funding opportunities.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Master’s Degree in Commerce (Accounting Option), Accounting, Finance or its equivalent from a recognized University.
- Have CPA (K) qualification.
- Member of ICPAK and in good standing.
- Three (3) years’ work experience as a Senior Accountant in a University OR nine (9) years’ work experience in a comparable Institution.
- Computer skills in relevant areas from a recognized Institution.
OTHER SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- Extensive knowledge of financial and budget management in institutions of higher education.
- Strong leadership and strategic planning abilities.
- Skills in using financial management software used in institutions of higher education
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- A success track record of innovation
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent report writing skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal, negotiation and conflict resolution skills
Interested candidates who meet the above requirements should submit an application letter indicating current and desired salary, a detailed CV including three referees, academic and professional certificates, and a clear copy of your Kenya National ID and iTax certificate via email to email@example.com by 27th March 2023. The subject of your email should read the position
Head of Human Resources,
P.0. Box 56808-00200,