The United Nations Environment Programme (UN Environment) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the world’s environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the environment.
This position is to coordinate and implement the activities on development and launch of the environmental policy tracker and related components. The initial duration of this consultancy will be for an 11-month period. The consultant will work under the direct supervision of the Programme Manager in the Environmental Governance and Conventions Branch, as well as other team members working on the Environment Policy Tracker (EPT).
Specific tasks and responsibilities include:
- Lead activities in working with Science, Economy and Law Divisions of UNEP as well as other programs to secure needed data, information and assessments to develop the environmental policy tracker (EPT).
- Lead liaising with external partners in securing information and data as well as inputs related to user interface for designing the EPT.
- Provide substantial inputs to the design team developing the EPT on issues of science, policy and impacts.
- Develop an operational plan for establishing a governance and management plan for the EPT.
- Lead work in support of communications and outreach for the launch and update of EPT in collaboration with the communications focal point and work with the UNEP Communication team on specific inputs in support of the launch.
- Prepare presentations, briefs and related outreach material explaining EPT and the related.
- Lead orientation and training programmes related to EPT within UNEP and outside, including in international meetings and fora.
- Seek and provide comments on the user experience of the EPT for fine tuning the EPT and its’ scaling up.
- Lead inputs to the design team on revising, updating and scaling up actions related to EPT after launch.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent degree) in environmental sciences, social sciences or environmental law with two years of experience is required. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of two years of progressively responsible experience in programme / project management is required.
- Experience in drafting review documents, meeting reports and assessment papers related to Environmental management/law is required.
- Experience in data collection and/or undertaking research will be an added advantage.