The African Population and Health Research Center (APHRC) is a leading Africa-based, African-led, international research institution headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya. APHRC conducts policy-relevant research on population, health, education, urbanization, and related development issues in sub-Saharan Africa.
APHRC seeks to recruit a Data Communications Specialist to create attractive and interactive data narratives, stories and visualizations in order to add value to data-driven projects within the Data Science and Evaluation (DSE) Theme.
The Data Journalist will be responsible for collecting, analyzing and visualizing data to create compelling stories and reports. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in journalism, data analysis, and graphics, visualization and communication.
- Research and curate compelling content and narratives for the audience;
- Work closely with editors and reporters to develop data-driven stories and reports, and infographics to be hosted on the Center’s website;
- Develop graphics, images, storyboards and other interactive learning content;
- Research and develop new data sources and techniques to improve the quality and depth of our data-driven reporting;
- Create visually compelling data visualizations to accompany news stories and reports; and
- Stay up-to-date with trends and best practices in data communication and visualization.
Qualifications, Skills, and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Graphic Design, Information Design, Business Analytics, Journalism or a related field.
- At least 3 years’ experience working in visual storytelling, data journalism with a focus on data analysis and visualization.
- Strong understanding of journalistic principles and standards.
- Proven experience in using graphic design software such as Adobe Creative Suite.
- Knowledge with data analysis and visualization tools, such as Excel, Python, Visio, Tableau, Power BI.
- Some knowledge of WordPress and front-end web languages (HTML, CSS, JS).
- Experience as a content writer, copywrite or editor in a data-driven environment.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with the ability to quickly identify and analyze trends in data.
- Knowledge and experience in understanding Google analytics, HubSpot and Hotjar to extract valuable insights from information generated in the unit.
- Strong verbal and written communication and collaboration skills, with the ability to work effectively with cross-functional teams.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to produce high-quality work under tight deadlines.
- Demonstrable passion for news and current events, with a keen interest in exploring data-driven stories and trends to inform less-technical audiences.
This position is classified under Nationally Recruited Positions (NRP), Grade V in our scales.
How to apply
Interested candidates are encouraged to apply through our recruitment portal https://aphrc.org/vacancies/by March 26, 2023.Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted; shortlisted candidates will be required to have a Police Clearance Certificate. Cover letters should be addressed to:
The Human Resources Officer
African Population and Health Research Center, Inc
APHRC Campus, Manga Close, off Kirawa Road, Kitisuru
P. O. Box 10787-GPO, Nairobi
APHRC is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to the protection of vulnerable persons