Consultant Terms of Reference
Alight Horn of Africa, on behalf of one of our subsidiary partners, ORAM, is seeking to engage a consultant as provided services in the details below:
Title: Consultant- Capacity Strengthening of Refugee-Led Community-Based Organizations
Location: Nairobi and Kakuma refugee camp, Kenya
Reporting lines: Consultant will be reporting to the East Africa Program Manager, based in Nairobi, with support from the Senior Program Manager.
ORAM protects and empowers vulnerable and marginalized asylum seekers and refugees globally, creating sustainability and systemic change. We assist vulnerable asylum seekers and refugees on every step of their journey, working along displacement routes and in transit countries. We connect individuals with the resources and opportunities they need to build safe, stable, and empowered lives.
About the Project
In Kenya, our work is focused on supporting marginalized refugees and asylum seekers in Kakuma and Nairobi to achieve self-reliance through livelihood support and capacity strengthening of Refugee-Led Community Based Organizations (RLOs-CBOs). ORAM has identified organizational and programming gaps and challenges in RLOs and intends to enhance their capacity. To achieve this, ORAM is looking for the services of external experts to strengthen the capacity of RLOs in Nairobi and Kakuma refugee camp. Resultantly, Refugee-led CBOs will have better structures and polices, improved ability to manage projects and increase access to funding opportunities.
Scope of Work
To enhance the capacity of 10 Refugee-Led Community Based Organization in identified gaps, the consultant will design and facilitate training workshops using proven curriculums and approaches. The consultant will also serve as coach and mentor to the participating CBOs supporting to apply for a least one grant during the training period and facilitate networking forums.
The specific objectives are to:
- Design and implement capacity strengthening workshops to enhance the capacity of 10 Refugee-Led Community Based Organizations in Nairobi and Kakuma.
- To facilitate peer learning sessions and provide ongoing mentorship and coaching to prepare the RLOs to manage sub-grants in 2023/2024.
- Support the RLOs to apply for at least one grant.
- Provide recommendations and best practices for scale-up of the RLO capacity strengthening program.
- Conduct a rapid assessment to provide a training that is responsive to CBOs’ identified needs, strengths, and priorities.
- Provide an inception report, detailed work plan to include, training & coaching methods and approaches.
- Participate in dialogue and reflection with CBOs and co-create capacity strengthening plans.
- To conduct of the training workshops on 10 RLO/CBO in Nairobi and Kakuma on areas such as: establishment of CBOs (vision-mission, goals, formulation of constitution and by-laws), Proposal development & Budgeting, Program Management, Organizational guidelines and procedures, Financial Management & Tools, HR & Safeguarding policies, and Networking.
- Support multiple forms of mentorship, learning, and peer support for capacity strengthening.
- Facilitate the planned learning and networking forums to promote peer learning and develop partnerships.
- Prepare the RLOs to receive and manage small grants to support in the delivery of ORAM’s planned projects such as financial and business skills training, conditional cash assistance.
- Implement activities in line with the work plan and deliverables.
- Submit the revised organizational policy and guiding documents for
- Submission of final report, 40 pages maximum and accompanied by a power point presentation summarizing the outcomes, challenges and recommendations.
Qualifications and experience
- Master’s degree in Public Administration/ Business Administration/ Project Management/ Social Studies, or any other related courses.
- Proven experience in organizational development and provision of technical assistance to grassroots organizations, with proven ability to develop training and coaching tools/curriculum, pre-and post-training evaluation.
- Excellent project management skills including the demonstrated ability to conduct assessments, analysis, training, monitoring, and reporting within set deadlines.
- Ability to use a participatory, appreciative, strengths-based approach that builds on existing capacities/experiences, and custom learning.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, with limited supervision.
- Proven ability to work with diverse and marginalized populations in a respectful, non-judgmental, and ethically sound manner.
- Familiarity with NGO context.
- Have a good working knowledge of Community-Based Organizations management and governing rules in the Kenyan context.
- Strong interpersonal, partnership, and training, facilitation, and mentoring skills
- Excellent writing and reporting skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English. A French-speaking member of the team will be an added advantage.
This capacity building will be from 1st March 2023 to 31st July 2023.
How to apply
Please submit a CV, a written response to the ToR, consultancy fees, two examples of written work, two references to: SMProcurement-NAI@wearealight.org by February 13th, 2023.