The Country and Product Networks will be the drivers of the policy advocacy initiatives at country level. They will play the lead role in implementation of activities through the support of Fairtrade Africa. The Country and Product Networks will develop country and product-based advocacy action plans to guide them in policy advocacy for the issues identified, monitor and track progress of policy advocacy initiatives and support in reporting of the milestones achieved. They will also enhance the visibility of Fairtrade Africa’s policy advocacy work in their countries.
They play the lead role in implementation of activities through the support of Fairtrade Africa. Fairtrade Africa seeks to build the capacity of Country and Product Networks in the following nine (9) countries;
- West Africa Network (WAN): Ghana, Sierra Leone, and Côte d’Ivoire;
- Eastern and Central Africa Network (ECAN): Kenya, Uganda, and Rwanda;
- Southern Africa Network (SAN); Mauritius, Malawi, and Madagascar;
The assignment is to conduct in-person country-based policy advocacy capacity building trainings for selected members of Product and Country Networks and Staff of Fairtrade Africa. The trainings should provide knowledge on the strategies for advocacy, policy influencing and lobbying, creation of advocacy messages and communication with relevant stakeholders and the public in general, building partnerships, practical use of the advocacy communications tools. Fairtrade Africa has developed a policy advocacy training manual which will be reviewed and updated so that it is fit for purpose as part of this assignment.
- Who: Representative of Country and Product Networks, selected FTA staff supporting these networks and PO Board members will be trained and advocacy plans developed;
- Target: Country and Product Networks in 9 countries as follows Ghana, Sierra Leone, Côte d’Ivoire, Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda, Mauritius, Malawi and Madagascar.
- Three (3) day training in person in country-based workshops.
The outcome of the assignment is enhanced capacities of country and product networks and FTA to engage in policy and advocacy influencing work whose outputs will be;
- Training on Policy Advocacy influencing conducted;
- Advocacy implementation plans developed. The plans will define priority national policy advocacy issues to pursue and map key stakeholders to collaborate with;
- Develop draft positions on identified priorities;
- Updated Policy Advocacy Manual;
In terms of reporting, The Consultant(s) are expected to deliver:
- An Inception report that articulates the overall requirements of the TOR including proposed methodology, work plan with clear timelines, and division of labour where necessary;
- A report on the implementation of the outputs defined in the TOR and outcomes of the workshop;
- A Power-Point presentation;
- An end of assignment workshop (virtual) with FTA to report on conclusion of this assignment.
Duration and time frame
The capacity building assignment shall be completed within 3 months from the start date from May to end July 2023.
Consultancy Competencies, Experience and Skill Requirements
It is expected that this task will be conducted by a firm or a consortium of consultants with strong policy advocacy capacity building background and expertise. Demonstrate capacity to deliver the capacity building component across countries in Africa; The team with the following expertise/experience will have an added advantage- smallholder farmers and their organisations, workers’ rights in hired labour set ups, various export oriented agricultural value chains and members with fluency in French and based in some of the target countries.
The Application Process
Interested parties should submit a Technical and Financial Proposal. The Technical Proposal will focus on the consultant’s interpretation of the TOR, sharing of their relevant experience and the qualifications and experience of the proposed team members. It will also cover the proposed approach, methodology and a draft workplan and composition of team to deliver the task.
The proposal should be accompanied by a cover letter and include Two (2) references from organizations with whom similar scope and value proposed in this assignment has been undertaken. The Financial Proposal will focus on the cost to deliver the entire task minus the logical costs. The Budget will be presented in Euros.