The African Institute for Development Policy (AFIDEP) is a regional non-profit research and policy Institute established in 2010 to help bridge the gaps between research, policy and practice in development efforts in Africa. Our primary purpose is to contribute to sustainable development through the use of evidence and advocacy to strengthen political commitment and resource allocation for development issues; informing the design and implementation of effective interventions; and strengthening governance and accountability structures for tracking development challenges in Africa. AFIDEP is registered as a Non-Governmental Organisation in both Kenya and Malawi (where it has offices) and as a non-profit institution in the USA with 501(c)3 status. For further details about AFIDEP and its work refer to www.afidep.org.
AFIDEP seeks highly qualified and self-motivated individuals to fill the position of Administration Officer for its Malawi and Kenya Offices. Reporting to the Finance and Administration Manager, the Administration Officer will be responsible for day-to-day administration and procurement processes to enable the attainment of AFIDEP’s mission. They will also hire, train, and evaluate administrative team members; develop, review, and improve policies, systems, and procedures; and generally, ensure the office operates smoothly and efficiently.
- General Management – Manage administrative services including utilities and consumables, office maintenance, repairs and cleaning and re-order of goods/inventory, monitor telephone usage and all other administrative related services.
- Asset management – develop and maintain a record of assets and inventory records, and maintain an updated insurance schedule of the same, vehicles inclusive.
- Events Management – Support in the organization of internal and external meetings and conferences, staff travel and accommodation bookings for staff both locally and internationally; and organize administrative functions of workshops and meetings, retreats and related activities.
- Oversight front office administration and services, ensuring proper management of the reception, switchboard operations, and welcoming of AFIDEP visitors. Ensure that all general enquiries are attended to and responded to accurately and promptly.
- Procurement – Lead the procurement function, ensuring specific donor requirements are strictly adhered to. Process orders of supplies, establish and maintain good relationships with key suppliers and provide administrative support to the Procurement Committee.
- Accounting and Finance – Assist in management of accounts for suppliers and service providers, and advising when services are due for payment. Support management of payables by ensuring timely vendor and service providers invoices are received, reconciled and submitted to Finance for processing. Manage petty cash as per policy and guidelines.
- Supervision – Overseeing the day-to-day operations of the administrative department and staff members.
- System Development – Developing, reviewing, and improving administrative systems, policies, and procedures, and using appropriate digital tools to improve efficiency.
- Carry out any other duties as assigned from time to time by the management.
- A Masters’ degree holder in Business Management/ Administration/Procurement or related field of study.
- Professional qualification and certification in Procurement is a special requirement.
- Practical knowledge of office management.
- At least 5 years’ experience in similar position with at least 3 years’ experience in a USAID-funded organization will be an added advantage.
- Previous experience in an International NGO is an added advantage.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills.
- Good minute-taking and report writing skills.
- Proven ability to structure persuasive arguments in a strategic manner.
- Formal affiliation with the relevant procurement professional body in the country office.
How to apply
To apply: Please send a motivation letter indicating your suitability for the position, including the position title “Administration Officer – Malawi” or “Administration Officer – Kenya” on the subject of the email, and a detailed CV which should include three relevant referees, to email@example.com no later than 15th February 2023 only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
AFIDEP is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.