NIRAS is looking for a team leader in a Gender-Based Violence (GBV) Prevention and Response project in the Horn of Africa (HoA) funded by SDC. NIRAS is proposing to this opportunity at tender stage.
The Project aligns and contributes to the SDGs 5 and 3 which aim to achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls, and ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages. It aligns to Switzerland’s International Cooperation Strategy 2021-2024, which emphasises GBV prevention and access to basic services. The main focus of the Project is to strengthen an ecosystem for prevention and response to GBV through support to local women-led organisations or associations in collaboration with government entities. The envisaged ecosystem includes working on norms with women and men, building solidarity with survivors, and establishing referral linkages for survivors of GBV to One-Stop Crisis Centres (types of integrated service delivery centers for health, psychosocial, and legal services for survivors of violence all in one place). The initiative also aims to build the capacities of the local women associations and networks active around the One-Stop Crisis Centres to support the establishment of a comprehensive and sustainable ecosystem.
The proposed Project will focus on Somalia, the Somali Region of Ethiopia, and North-Eastern Kenya. The specific intervention areas (districts or community level) will be determined during the Inception Phase (planning process).
The Inception Phase (01.08.2023 – 31.01.2024) and Main Phase 01 (01.02.2024 – 31.07.2027) of this multi-annual opportunity are subject to the current tender. There is a possibility of extension by two additional phases (until 2035).
We are looking for a Team Leader for the intervention, to be mainly based in Nairobi or Addis Ababa, with regular travel to the project regions.
Qualifications and professional experience required
- Level of training (Master’s degree, or equivalent in health and/or gender studies, project and fund management, social sciences, international development, or other related subject);
- Confirmed experience (10+ years) in project management and in the management of teams for complex interventions in development cooperation, ideally at regional level across borders;
- Experience in coordination with other technical and financial partners;
- Confirmed experience in the health sector with expertise in GBV or protection, Female Genital Mutilation (FGM), community mobilization, and preferably skills in mental health and psycho-social support;
- a strong professional network with public and private actors in the region will be an asset;
- Strong analytical capacity and ability for innovation and unconventional and innovative solutions;
- Professional experience in the Horn of Africa Region, preferably in Somalia, the Somali Region of Ethiopia and North-Eastern Kenya;
- Complementary experiences, skills for ensuring sustainability of the project results;
- Readiness to undertake duty travel to the project regions.
NIRAS is an interdisciplinary engineering and consulting company originating from Scandinavia, with over 2,400 permanent staff based in offices around Europe, Africa and Asia. People in NIRAS implement around 300 development projects annually. We work on the entire project cycle and within large, multi-annual development programs, to create impact in line with the SDG. Please find more information about our work on our website at: https://www.niras.com/development-consulting/
How to apply
Please apply online through our database of experts:
Please include an up-to-date CV in EU format and/or Development Bank format, ideally as a Word file. Applications are screened continuously.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
We are looking forward to receiving your application.