Position Title: Senior Call Center Interpreter
Reports To: Call Center Specialist
Division: CWS Africa
Department: Refugee Communication
Job Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Grade Level: Grade 5, Officer, National
Church World Service (CWS) is a not-for-profit, faith-based organization transforming communities around the globe through just and sustainable solutions to hunger, poverty, displacement and disaster. CWS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, genetic information, age, disability or veteran status in employment or in the provision of services.
This position is responsible for ensuring quality in language interpretation of incoming and outgoing calls and written materials translation by Call Center Interpreters in RSC Africa from refugee applicants in the USRAP under the guidance of the Call Center Specialist, in accordance with the USRAP Guidelines, RSC Africa SOPs and Call Center Quality assurance guidelines in the key languages of our refugee populations.
- Achieves and maintains high performance standard based on a thorough knowledge of and adherence to established RSC Africa, CWS/IRP, DOS/PRM, USCIS, and UNHCR policies and procedures regarding current refugee processing eligibility criteria, database, and file management guidelines, the role of US Resettlement Agencies and refugee producing country conditions.
- Oversee a high level of interpretation and translation language skill and ability for both inbound and outbound calls by the Call Center Interpreters according to conventions of established interpretation protocol.
- Assist Call Center Specialist in call interpretation monitoring for Call Center Interpreters, to ensure quality assurance and providing feedback on how to improve interpretation on calls and ensure applicant / beneficiary service satisfaction.
- Assist Call Center Specialist in written material translation monitoring for Call Center Interpreters, to ensure quality assurance and providing feedback on how to improve translation on written material and ensure applicant / beneficiary service satisfaction.
- Confirm and ascertain clear and exact translations of written materials, and interpretations of verbal communication from English to at least one of the following target languages: Somali, Congolese Kiswahili, Kinyarwanda, Kinyabwisha, Dinka, Massalit, Kinyamulenge, Kibembe, Tigrinya by the Call Center Interpreters.
- Handling calls that are escalated from Call Center Interpreters to ensure the matter is handled exhaustively and well.
- Assist Call Center Specialist with the development of interpretation Call Center scripts based on various case/call scenarios.
- Play a key role and provide input to Call Center Interpreters/Specialist on call quality and how to improve time for calls with interpretations.
- Assist with outbound calls which require interpretation based on the dashboard queue and reason for call back.
- Performs all Call Center Interpreters duties during call surges/traffic or when experiencing shortage of Call Center Interpreter staff.
- Takes a lead role in interpretation and translation related projects within the Call Center as assigned by Call Center Supervisor, Manger and Specialist including daily workflow planning, providing direction, identifying reporting parameters, setting timelines and completing quality control checks on the project.
- Assist Call Center Specialist to confirm that Call Center Interpreters have appropriate rights/access to essential folders and databases to facilitate their work.
- Assess the daily interpretation and translation Call Center unit reports and recommends work plans, pipeline reviews and clean-ups.
- Takes the lead role in the creation of interpretation and translation daily work plans in the absence of the Specialist or as delegated.
- Assists in the development of Call Center Interpreters’ onboarding and training procedures and modules as well as assisting in their implementation as required.
- Assist the Call Center Specialist with hiring of other minor language contract interpreters for outbound calls.
- Assist Call Center Specialist with the training of CWS RSC Africa contract interpreters on tips and guides for effective call interpretation.
- Completion of daily activity logs and other documentation.
- Performs additional duties and special assignments as needed to facilitate the efficient operation of the Call Center at RSC Africa.
- Four (4) years of paid work experience is required.
- Experience working with Interpreters is required.
- Written and verbal knowledge of at least one of the following main RSC Africa processing languages required. (Somali, Congolese Kiswahili, Kinyarwanda, Kinyabwisha, Dinka, Massalit, Kinyamulenge, Kibembe, Tigrinya).
- Two (2) years’ experience as an Interpreter preferred.
- One (1) year USRAP case processing experience is preferred.
- Call Center work experience and knowledge preferred.
- Previous supervisory experience preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to provide accurate and real time interpretation. Excellent bilingual communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Proficient with use of office equipment.
- Outstanding listening, retention and note-taking skills.
- Proficient enunciation and pronunciation skills, and pleasant, professional voice.
- Proficient understanding of cultural sensitivity, and ability to collaborate with people from diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Demonstrated computer skills for Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Internet.
Education & Certifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree is required, or 4 years of work experience in lieu of a bachelors degree.
- Valid certificate of accredited interpreting training, or training in interpretation services preferred.
- Manage large and diverse workload under pressure with competing priorities.
- Maintain the integrity of official records;
- Analyse and solve complex problems and make sound decisions;
- Work with minimal supervision
- Maintain a high performance standard with attention to detail;
- Work independently and contribute to overall operations of RSC Africa;
- Actively participate in the implementation of the U.S. Refugee Admissions Program (USRAP).
- Strong English communication skills, both written and oral.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment required.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion and willingness to support CWS’ Platform on Racial Justice as a CWS employee required.
- COVID Vaccination is required for all successful candidates
- The candidate should be of good health, willing and able to travel extensively in often difficult conditions, and have a high degree of flexibility. Must have proof of Yellow Fever vaccination before traveling for RSC Africa
- This position is based in Nairobi, Kenya
- This position requires use of laptops at all time, competence in Microsoft office packages is required.
- This position may require travel in sub-Saharan Africa on short notice and under sometimes difficult conditions to meet demands of a dynamic operational program
- Background check which includes references and an educational and criminal check is required before the start of employment for International applicants.
- A valid passport and the ability to maintain a valid passport throughout the entire appointment is required, which includes having enough passport pages for travel.
- Physical: This position requires bending, squatting, crawling, climbing, kneeling, sitting, standing, walking, pushing/pulling, handling objects (manual dexterity), reaching above shoulder level, using fine finger movements and lifting/carrying heavy loads.
- Environmental: Incumbents in this position will be exposed to excessive noise, marked changes in temperature and/or humidity, dust and infectious diseases, harsh weather climates, long work hours, bumpy roads, extended travel, excessive sun exposure, and non-ventilated spaces.
- Full time/Part Time
- All employees should be prepared to work from the CWS office within their location of hire. Remote work arrangements may vary depending on location and the governing rulings regarding the COVID-19 pandemic
How to apply
Log onto CWS Careers site: Work with CWS – CWS (cwsglobal.org)