Salary: 130,000 – 180,000 KES
Contract Duration: Full-Time, Permanent
Location: Remote, Kenya
Closing: 11:59pm, 12th Feb 2023 EAT
About the role
We are looking for an enthusiastic Research Assistant to join our highly dynamic and growing team. The ideal candidate will be proactive and committed to producing sound, objective research and analysis.
In the role, you will apply research to some of the most current and complex humanitarian and development issues. The individual will be involved in undertaking research across a range of thematic issues, in fragile and conflict affected settings (FCAS). You will be based in Kenya working remotely. Candidates must have the right to work in Kenya.
Specifically, you will be working on short to mid-term projects focusing on the triple nexus between humanitarian aid, development and peacebuilding. Projects range from conflict analysis and prevention, peacebuilding, resilience-building, gender mainstreaming, economic empowerment, climate change and livelihoods. Our clients range from intergovernmental organisations including the UN, (i)NGOs and non-profit organisations.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
- Supporting different stages of research and M&E projects, including the design, inception and analysis phase
- Conduct in-depth literature and desk reviews using a variety of secondary sources to support the delivery of research projects
- Conduct data cleaning and analysis of quantitative and qualitative data and interpret findings
- Undertake the design of research instruments and remote and in-person fieldwork
- Support Senior Researchers, Head of Research and Head of Monitoring and Evaluation to deliver research programmes to a high quality and standard.
- Contribute to the critical review, analysis and publication of reports, articles and data.
- To perform any other reasonable duties as directed by line management.
- Support identification of tenders and development of proposals, including researching clients, existing programmes, and development topics and writing of proposals.
Qualification and experience
- Masters degree in Development Studies, International Relations, Peace and Conflict Studies, or a related discipline
- Thematic interest and experience in conflict, climate change, food security, governance, economic development, and/or youth and gender
- 1-3 years experience conducting relevant research
- Fluency in English, other languages highly desirable
- Ability to cope well under pressure, and to occasionally work irregular hours to meet tight deadlines
- Research skills: Ability to think critically and analytically to distill information for relevance and context, strong report drafting skills and ability to write in a lucid accessible style.
- Proficiency in both qualitative and quantitative research methodologies is desirable, though experience will be provided through the role
- Interest or experience in drafting guides for key informant interviews and focus groups is an advantage.
- Proven knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite, to include Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Understanding and application of statistical analysis software (e.g. SPSS and/or STATA) is an added advantage.
- Attention to detail: A commitment to high quality deliverables and reports, meticulous in approach to research and report writing
- Initiative and flexibility: Competency in independent working, show initiative towards completing goals and objectives, but also have the flexibility to adapt and answer to different demands necessary to fulfil assigned tasks
- Teamwork: Openness to ideas and input from others on team, ability to work collaboratively, have strong listening and interpersonal skills
- Organisation: A systematic approach to work, with the ability to multitask and manage time efficiently, meeting deadlines under pressure
- Integrity: Must have a strong sense of research and professional ethics, be conscientious in approach to work and be committed to Bodhi’s research standards
- Communication: Ability to communicate (verbal and written) confidently in English and adapt to different audiences and cultural contexts
- Fully Remote Role
- Access to Office Space
- 28 days Holiday plus Bank Holidays
- Learn a Language
- Conduct substantial fieldwork (Global Travel)
- Medical Insurance including: Maternity, Dental & Optical
How to apply
- Covering letter
- Three references
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to remote interview, and asked to conduct some written tests prior to a hiring decision being made. Any questions may be directed to email@example.com
Early application is encouraged as we will review applications throughout the advertising period and reserve the right to close the advert early.
Bodhi is committed to diversity in its workforce. We actively seek a diverse applicant pool and encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religious beliefs, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, socioeconomic background or disability.