REGIONAL PROGRAMME MANAGER – WISE Youth Empowerment Programme
(Job Ref: 2/2/23)
Position title: Regional Programme Manager; WISE Youth Empowerment Programme
Working location: Nairobi, Kenya
Supervisor: Deputy Regional Director of Program
Region: East and Southern Africa (ESAF)
Contract Period: 12 months with high possiblity of extension
Context of the Organization
SOS Children’s Villages International (SOS CVI) is a non-governmental and non-denominational organization working with communities, partners and states to ensure that the rights of all children are fulfilled in every society. SOS CVI is a global federation working to protect and care for children who have lost parental care, or who stand at risk of losing care. We respect all religions and cultures and work with trusted partners in places where we can contribute to social development. Everything we do is made possible through the generous support of sponsors and donors, institutional and corporate partners, and loyal friends worldwide.
Envisioning that every child belongs to a family and grows up with love, respect and security, we exist to build families for children in need, we help them shape their own futures, and we share in the development of their communities. Everything we do is guided by the firm belief that no child should grow up alone and that we need to improve care for children who are at risk, enabling them to overcome precarious conditions and to succeed in life. To achieve our mission, our strategy for the upcoming decade focuses on ensuring the best care of children, innovation, and effective collaboration with more partners. Our core values guiding who we are and what we do include courage to take action, commitment to keep our promises, trust to believe in each other, and accountability to be reliable Partners.
Purpose of the Position
SOS CV is currently working on the formulation of a multi-country programme focused on youth empowerment that will be implemented in several SOS CV program locations in ESAF between 2023 – 2028. This programme will bring together the SOS CVI office for ESAF (Nairobi), SOS CV Canada, SOS CV Zimbabwe, SOS CV Kenya, SOS CV Ghana and the Duke of Edinburgh International Award as key partners.
The Regional Programme Manager will set up and support the implementation of the WISE Youth Empowerment programme in the target countries, including development-related tasks, processes, partnership coordination and programme management. Through technical support to the implementing country offices who directly implement the programme, regular monitoring, and programme reporting, the Regional Programme Manager will ensure the smooth implementation of the programme.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Management of the WISE Youth Empowerment Programme; programme development, implementation, and reporting.
- Participate in a 1-week programme formulation workshop in Nairobi (March 2023) with key programme stakeholders.
- Support in the drafting of the detailed programme proposal (including programme tools) and preparation for programme launch.
- Lead in the management of a small programme team working in the ESAF Regional Office and support programme implementation once the programme in launched.
- Support in staffing the WISE programme in the implementing countries, including supporting in the creation of job descriptions, the development of training and onboarding plans for new programme staff.
- Convene and chair regular (e.g. monthly, quarterly) program meetings to share program updates, disseminate minutes, and follow up on action points.
- Support implementing countries in the implementation of the programme and use of programme management documents and tools such as: implementation timelines, workplans, performance measurement framework, budget, risk monitoring framework, etc.
- Ensure the preparation of detailed annual implementation plans by the programme teams (at the regional office level and in implementing countries)
- Ensure proper communication flow between the implementing countries, the SOS CVI office for ESAF, the Duke of Edinburgh Award, and SOS CV Canada.
- ‘Flag’ any issues of concern arising from the monitoring of the programme activities and develop and follow-up on steering measures if necessary.
- Advise and review implementing countries’ reporting to ensure quality narrative reports and ensure reporting is submitted as per donor requirements.
- Validate financial reports prepared by the country teams to ensure quality and compliance with contractual requirements and SOS Children’s Villages policies and procedures.
- Conduct periodic visits to programme locations to validate progress reports, identify problems, and issues to address and make recommendations for improvement.
- Ensure organizational safeguarding, gender and environmental policies are promoted and applied across the programme.
- Represent the WISE Youth Empowerment Programme in external forums, events and networks as requested.
- Support the knowledge management component; develop knowledge management guideline together with implementing partners and ensure all files (electronic and paper) are complete, numbered and filed (implementation plans, narrative and financial reports, workshop documentation, audit and evaluations, donor communication & approvals, etc.).
- Link with programme development in ESAF region.
- In collaboration with the WISE Regional M&E officer and WISE Regional Finance officer, lead day-to-day aspects of donor reporting processes to ensure the timely submission of high-quality implementation plans, narrative and financial reports.
Knowledge, Experience, competencies and skills
- 7+ years of relevant work experience in a programme-management role, preferably within a non-governmental organization.
- A degree/diploma in education, programme management, international or community development, business, or international studies
- Experience developing and/or implementing child and youth-focused programmes
- Demonstrated knowledge of working with teams across the African continent
- Experience working on a multi-partner programme
- Valid passport and ability to travel internationally (up to 15% of the year)
- Available for travel in Nairobi in early March 2023
- Capacity to represent SOS CV and showcase the programme at various events, including donor events
- Fair knowledge of RBM and its implementation is essential
- Solid knowledge and understanding of safeguarding standards, best practices and current thinking/trends concerning working effectively with children and young people.
- Perform all assigned child-safeguarding duties in a manner that reflects the highest professional standards
- Excellent English verbal and writing skills
- Highly collaborative approach to work, and service driven working style
- A passion for, and knowledge of, child-focused international development
- Demonstrated leadership with the ability to work well with external partners
- Self-starter and able to work independently
- Outgoing and confident, with above average communication skills
- As a responsible employer, SOS CVI provides a range of training schemes and encourages educational enhancement
- A salary that will be commensurate with experience and qualifications
How to apply
Please apply on our website