The project Officer Livestock will assist in the implementation of Livestock and agriculture activities of the Strengthening Community Resilience and Economic Empowerment Programme (SHEEP Project in Garissa County. He/she will directly report to the Field coordinator administratively and technically.
Project planning and implementation (50%)
- Conduct social mobilizations, project targets identifications, setting target criteria for the integrated project activities.
- Ensure the overall livestock and agricultural activities of the project are implemented according to the approved donor & government agreement.
- Coordinate & facilitate the selection of beneficiaries of the project jointly with the recommended stakeholders based on the agreed targeting criteria.
- Work closely with the Community focal persons in Mobilization, sensitization and general implementation of the project including handling beneficiaries complains.
- Development of project implementation plans and budgets within the project framework.
- Supporting and keeping track of day-to-day activities implementation at the selected sites.
- Ensure timely implementation of project activities as per the work plan budgetary, standards and procedures.
- Ensure filling of project documents in accordance with IRK policy and procedures.
- Ensure that livestock production & health activities that enable to promote the livestock products and marketing and this would create more income for communities.
- Ensure the preparation and implementation of the work plan activities, including M&E activities, meetings & visits of the project area conduct timely in coordination with the Field coordinator and MEAL officer.
- Coordinate & support the efforts of fodder production & emergency livestock response.
- Facilitate consultation, participation, and feedback to the community in relation to Islamic relief program and policies.
- Understands and puts into practice the responsibilities under Safeguarding and Do No Harm and ensuring that concerns are reported and managed in accordance with the appropriate procedures.
- Prepare project monthly quarterly and annual work plans.
- Preparation of weekly project implementation plans/acceleration plans
- Assist in any other implementation duty assigned by line managers.
Monitoring, Documentation, Communications, and reporting (30%)
- Provide all the written weekly, monthly, and quarterly reports timely as required by IRK and the donor and submitted to the MEAL unit.
- Ensure the project target is achieved in line with project plans and result framework.
- Assist in Developing project implementation tools including Detailed Implementation Plans (DIPs), MEAL Plans, Procurement Plans, Communication plan, weekly/monthly work plans as may be necessary.
- Properly & timely compile all relevant documents as like as case stories, success stories, pictures, photographs, and lesson learned during the implementation and constantly share it to MEAL and Communications team.
- Document community and stakeholders’ feedback and share with relevant stakeholders for appropriate action.
- Regular monitoring and evaluation of project implementation at field Level.
- Prepare and submit timely monthly, quarterly, annually narrative, and financial reports.
- Coordinate the action plans for assessments, monitoring, & joint review on the implementation and progresses of the project activities.
- Ensure compliance with the requirements of the IRK’s MEAL System, Core humanitarian Standard (CHS) and other relevant policies.
3. Coordination and Networking (20%)
- Coordinate with other partners working in the area in support of programme,
- Represent IRK at relevant stakeholder forums as may be requested by the line Managers.
- Coordinate to conduct capacity gaps assessment for community and government counterparts and organize capacity building training and resources & other logistic support as per identified gaps and constraints.
- Ensure there is a system for networking and communication with local government partners, relevant line departments and community representations in the project area(s).
- Advocate to partners for project activities and objectives and understand the project’s contribution to wider Islamic Relief goals and objectives.
Qualification and experience
- Minimum Qualification required: Masters or bachelor’s degree in animal husbandry, Veterinary Medicine, Animal Sciences, Agriculture, Rural development, or other relevant fields of study.
- Minimum of at least 5 years’ experience in a similar position or project management in an international NGO, UN, or Government Institutions.
- Must be member and hold Livestock certification from KAGR under the Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock and Fisheries established through Gazette Notice No. L.N. 110 of September 2011.
- Good technical knowledge of policy and practice in the field of agronomy, livelihoods, or crop productivity and development as well as other cross cutting issues.
- Experience in livelihood programs in Arid and semi-Arid (ASAL) settings Preferred.
- Conceptual understanding of participatory approach and sustainable development goals.
- Knowledge of local language is an added advantage.
- Basic computer skills.
- Monitoring & supervision skill
- Reporting writing skills.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with all levels of staff and other stakeholders.
- Vast knowledge and experience in programme management cycle-planning, monitoring, evaluation, documentation/reporting /sharing and learning.
Personal skills and competencies
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Islamic Relief values.
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance, and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development, and encourages others to do the same.
- Understand and adhere to the policies, processes, practices, and standards relevant to own work and keeps their knowledge and skills up to date.
- Takes responsibility for own performance and development: reflecting; seeking and listening to feedback; learning from mistakes; finding people or resources to help them learn.
- Constructive and optimistic in facing setbacks, challenges, and change, using own initiative to analyse issues and improve things.
- Good team player, communicating effectively and being open and supportive towards those around them.
- Future orientated, thinks strategically.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners and supporters.
- Values diversity sees it as a source of competitive strength.
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Creativity: Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Integrity: Honest, encourages openness and transparency.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a strong beneficiary/local partner-service focus
- Ability to work with diverse groups of people as a member of multi-cultural teams.
- Ability to prioritize work, multitask and control processes.
- Maturity, diplomacy, tact, and discretion, with strong negotiation skills.
- Proven analytical skills and ability to think strategically.
- Fluency in English both written and verbal.
- Experiences of facilitating community-based training, capacity building, skills/experience in workshops, trainings, and awareness campaigns.