WeWorld is looking for one (1) Project Coordinators for the EU co-funded project “Kujenga Amani Pamoja [Building the peace together]”.
Project Coordinator who will based in Mombasa and Kwale Counties
Position/Contract type: Full time – National Employment Contract
Contract Duration: 12 months (including 3 months as probation period), with possibility of extension
Tentative Starting date: April, 2023
WeWorld is an Italian independent non-governmental organisation working in Development Cooperation and Humanitarian Aid projects in 27 countries worldwide, including Italy. The NGO carries out 128 projects reaching over 2.4 million direct beneficiaries and 12.3 million indirect beneficiaries. Children, women and youth, actors of change in every community, are the protagonists of WeWorld projects and campaigns in the following fields of intervention: gender equality, prevention and contrast of violence against women and children, migrations, humanitarian aid (prevention, aid and reconstruction), food security, water and sanitation, health, education and learning, socio-economic development, environmental protection, global citizenship education and international volunteering.
WeWorld has been awarded a grant by the Delegation of European Commission in Kenya for the multi-country Action “Kujenga Amani Pamoja [Building the peace together]” that will take place in the bordering areas of Kenya, Tanzania, and Mozambique. The Overall Objective of the Action is “Aware and mobilized young women and men living in the coastal bordering areas of Kenya, Tanzania and Mozambique act as peacebuilders and agents of positive change”. The Action recognizes the peace centred cultural traits of the Swahili culture and call for youth networks and organizations to actively practice and disseminate learning on building peace, preventing conflicts and promoting inclusion practices. The project is implemented in Kwale County in Kenya; Tanga and Mtwara Regions in Tanzania; Cabo Delgado and Nampula Provinces in Mozambique.
Key Objectives of the Position
The Project Coordinator will be directly responsible for the overall management of the project in full compliance with the organization and the donor’s procedures, including planning, implementation and monitoring of the activities. S/he will be directly assigned to the supervision of all logistics, financial, human and operational resources dedicated to the project in close collaboration with Country Representative in Kenya and the Kenya project team, and under the direct supervision of the Project Manager (based in Tanzania) and the Finance team (both country and Regional team). S/he will report to the Project Manager and maintain effective relations and coordination with all project stakeholders at Kenya country level regional level.
Under the supervision of the Project Manager, the Project Coordinator acts as project focal point in the assigned region and ensures excellence in implementation of the project activities in terms of impact, reporting, and timeliness. Areas of focus will include the following:
Project Management, Monitoring and Reporting
- Plan and implement the project activities in compliance with the project design and timetable.
- Provide direct supervision of the project activities implemented by the partner organizations and by the associates, including baseline/endline survey and research, CSOs/CBOs mapping, identification of beneficiaries, training sessions, debates, roundtables, awareness events and media campaigns.
- Coordinate all aspects of finance, administrative, and logistics management of the activities at country and county level, ensuring knowledge and adherence to operational plans, donor requirements and WeWorld procedures.
- Ensure that all project documents are available (attendance sheets, MoU, minutes of meetings, contracts and agreements, activity reports, etc.).
- Support the development of workplans and ensure effective coordination, timely and quality implementation and monitoring of project activities to meet deliverables in accordance with standards, timelines, and budget.
- Lead and/or participate to the project meetings and support their arrangement.
- Support Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and learning (MEAL) through routine, accurate collection and reporting of information on project progress and achievements (including documentation of good practices and lessons learnt for further sharing among the consortium and other relevant stakeholders)
- Support the preparation of reports to be submitted to the donor, the Headquarters and Local Authorities, among others.
- Support the implementation of visibility actions and ensure compliance with WeWorld and donor’s guidelines.
- Support identification and formulation of new concept notes and project proposals to assist with co-financing of the project and beyond the lifetime of the project
Networking and Coordination
- Build strategic networks with local communities, CSOs, media actors and Local Authorities at district level and regional.
- Ensure coordination of the project activities with all relevant stakeholders (in primis local partners and associates) at county and at national level.
- Maintain relationship with relevant actors and local authorities and County and National level
- Ensure submission of reports to the Local Authorities, in line with the government procedures.
- Represent the organization and the consortium in County and National level stakeholders’ meetings and relevant cluster meetings.
As job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, the Project Coordinator may be required to undertake other duties that are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- Bachelor in a relevant discipline e.g. related to development studies, political or social studies, media studies
- Excellent communication (writing and oral) skills and reporting skills in English
- Computer skills, in particular MS Office, web and social media skills
- Proven leadership skills and excellent social/networking skills, ability to engage with government, private sector and civil society
- Proven organizational skills and ability to manage effectively multiple tasks
- Monitoring and evaluation skills
- Demonstrates integrity concerning NGO values and ethical standards
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Professional Experience: at least 3 years of experience working in a similar position with local/international organizations, government or relevant organizations in development projects
- Previous experience in the target region
- Previous experience in peacebuilding projects and conflict sensitivity approach.
- Ability to adapt to changing project priorities that may arise
- Valid driving licence (type B).
How to apply
How to apply: Send your CV and letter of motivation letter to: email@example.com
Please indicate the reference number of the vacancy Ref: KE/23/01 in the subject line of your email.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Deadline for sending applications: March 21st , 2023
WeWorld reserves the right to close this vacancy early if a sufficient number of applications is received.