About this position
We are looking for a Procurement Officer (Construction) who will be responsible for managing the day to day procurement activities and coordinating with heads of departments to ensure timely purchase of required category items for Headquarters and Construction. The holder of this position will deliver high quality professional procurement administration services and support the Procurement Manager in the development and implementation of tools, processes, policies and practices covering all aspects of the Supply chain.
Ability to deal with hands on issues, creation of practical solutions as well as participate in strategic thinking will be key to success in this position. This is a key position within the company’s Finance and Administration function reporting to the Procurement Manager.
Responsibilities of the Procurement Officer (Construction)
- The person will work with head of construction department under the guidance of the Procurement Manager in the bidding documents preparation, bidding process and preparation of framework agreements with suppliers for the diverse construction material requirement and ensuring value for money.
- Implementing the category strategy including sourcing activities which generate benefits and achieve value.
- The Procurement Officer will be required to closely monitor and oversee the acquisition of printed materials, school & training supplies needed for production of learning and training requirements, general supplies for office and schools support team, marketing material while ensuring visibility of the process at each stage.
- Leveraging online procurement resources to identify and use appropriate channels within the vast e-commerce environment both locally and internationally
- Use of world class procurement practice and tools to develop and implement the sourcing strategies for the category items.
- Provide support in the negotiation of contractual agreements with suppliers to ensure that service, quality, added value, lowest total cost, security of supply and the deployment of the supplier’s capabilities are secured.
- To ensure that internal customer and supplier relationships are maintained well for the procurement category to deliver breakthrough performance in cost, service and quality.
- Support the procurement manager to maximize the use of the ISM Containers funds by identifying best practice and leveraging spend for the procurement category including monitoring available framework agreements.
- Prepare and maintain appropriate reports and provide administrative support
- Creating and fostering relationships with diverse logistics and purchasing professional associations to ensure gainful experience and knowledge sharing
- Determining quantity and timing of Construction turnarounds and deliveries keeping up to date schedules to track lead times throughout the procurement process
- Lead, direct, coordinate, and manage all administrative, contractual and operational aspects of Construction Purchases.
- Prepare the Construction Purchasing budget for review by the department head, Finance and Procurement manager. Administer, control and coordinate budget and expenditures. Approve requisitions, Satellite office construction purchase orders
- Engaging suppliers on performance issues and providing feedback.
- Closing out purchase orders, files and archiving documents.
- Working internally and with external legal support to ensure suitable agreements that would ensure appropriate terms of engagement with suppliers of high value equipment such as capital items, and warranty covered purchases.
- Support land and Construction departments and other functions in legal and contractual processes for their procurement needs.
- Advise management on required areas of improvement to enhance procurement processes
- Train, motivate, coach, develop, and evaluate assigned professional, technical, and clerical Purchasing staff.
- Minimum of 3-5 years’ experience in procurement administration preferably for a big construction organization with multiple procurement requirements
- An expert level of knowledge in procurement including, but not limited to sourcing, pricing, contracts, relationship management and due diligence on suppliers and contractors
- Experience with procurement of construction industry or a Project in large scale environment where both formal and informal vendors operate will be a definite advantage.
- A professional qualification in purchasing and supplies management is essential.
- Bachelor’s Degree in business, engineering, economics or other Social Science or related discipline.
- Must be able to manage competing demands, accept criticism and constructive feedback, while being extremely efficient, adaptable and flexible
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills are required
- Ability to present procurement feedback, policies and procedures to senior managers.
- Demonstrated ability to organize large volumes of procurement and delivery requirements for a broad range of construction requirements. Must have the ability to quickly learn and improve systems
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information appropriately
- Strong initiative and solid judgment skills and abilities
- High level of integrity and ethical behaviour
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office suite applications