Awareness Against Human Trafficking (HAART), is a non-governmental organization based in Nairobi and dedicated to fighting human trafficking in Eastern Africa. HAART works through a multi-disciplinary approach applying the UN Four P’s Strategy to combat trafficking in persons: Prevention, Protection, Prosecution, Policy and Partnership. HAART is one of the key counter-trafficking organizations in Kenya addressing the issue of human trafficking by supporting the people most affected by it and also developing best practices in the movement. HAART Kenya is currently recruiting for the position of a Legal Officer. The associate shall be responsible for provision of legal aid services to victims of human trafficking as well as work closely with the case workers and social workers.
Contract Duration: 12 months
Position: Full time
Starting time: Immediately
Working hours: 45 hours in a week
Closing date for applications: 8th of Feb 2023 EAT
Salary: KES60,000 to 80,000 gross per month
He / she will be reporting to the Head of Protection.
Key Responsibilities and Duties
- Coordinate the Legal component of the Protection of victims and survivors.
- Prepare the victims for court session(s) in collaboration with the psychologists and the Protection team.
- Support Survivors in their participation in the criminal justice process (including pre and post-trial stage).
- Manage pro bono advocate databases and coordinate their services for Victims of Trafficking receiving support from HAART.
- Coordinate civil suit for survivors of human trafficking seeking compensation/restitution from traffickers.
- Apply effective risk management techniques and offer proactive advice on possible legal issues.
- Facilitate in acquiring legal documents for survivors, e.g., repatriation orders, travel documents, etc.
- Aid research department in conducting research on legal issues related to human trafficking.
- Train first responders and other key groups on the counter trafficking legal framework.
- Coordinate the training of HAART staff on the counter trafficking legal frameworks.
- Coordinate the collaboration with all government institutions on counter trafficking policies.
- Coordinate Legal and human rights awareness and education to HAART beneficiaries with integration of the knowledge into community outreach activities.
- Represent HAART in Collaboration with key stakeholders to ensure that the criminal justice framework protects the survivors that we serve.
- Support civil remedies available to victims of human trafficking and the nature of suits which can be instituted.
- Participate in Protection work and report writing.
- Participate in various team meetings.
- Support HAART in legal matters and collaborate and support the fundraising officer in proposal writing as well as participating in reporting to various donors.
- Develop a registry system and continuously update it.
Essential criteria & qualification
- Education: Diploma in law, legal or and paralegal studies.
- Job experience: Minimum 2 years of relevant experience.
- Experience in working in the human rights field.
- Ability to work with vulnerable populations.
- Strong attention to details and expertise in organization.
- Languages: Proficiency in English and native Kiswahili skills are required.
- Strong interpersonal skills and a team builder.
How to apply
All our associates are expected to strive for excellence, collaborate and communicate while ensuring full commitment to integrity. This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
At HAART we value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, color, race, marital status or any other status or characteristic protected under applicable law.
We will be accepting applications on a rolling basis.
Qualified candidates are invited to send one PDF of their cover letter, CV, contact information for 3 references and salary expectations to email@example.com using “Paralegal” as the subject of your email. Only complete applications will be reviewed and short-listed candidates contacted. Visit https://haartkenya.org/job-openings/ for an updated version of the application.
No Fee Charged
HAART does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting,