Established in 1988, African Economic Research Consortium is a premier capacity building institution in the advancement of research and training to inform economic policies in sub-Saharan Africa. AERC’s mission rests on two premises: first, that development is more likely to occur where there is sustained sound management of the economy; second, that such management is more likely to happen where there is an active, well-informed cohort of locally based professional economists to conduct policy-relevant research. AERC builds that cohort through a programme that has three primary components: research, training, and policy outreach. The organization integrates high quality economic policy research, postgraduate training, and policy outreach within a vast network of researchers, universities, and policy makers across Africa and beyond. We are seeking to fill the position of a Manager, Human Resource & Administration, to be based in Nairobi, Kenya. The position will report to the Chief Finance Officer.
Overall, Job Purpose
The Manager for Human Resources and Administration is responsible for the human resources management of the Secretariat and for general administrative matters including administration policies and operating procedures.
Duties & Responsibilities
1. Human Resource Strategy
- Developing and implementing a human resources operational plan for the Secretariat derived from the organization-wide strategic plan.
- Develop and continuously update the human resources plan.
2. HR Policy
- Reviewing and recommending changes to the human resources policies and procedures to conform to the labour laws and needs of the organization
- Identifying with other units the need for new staff to respond to the changing demands on the AERC Secretariat.
- Coordinating the recruitment process, ensuring that procedures followed are fair and transparent, and arranging for appropriate orientation of new staff.
4. Talent Management
- Developing and executing programmes: talent management including coaching and mentoring, learning and development and employee engagement, career development and succession planning.
5. Performance Management
- Ensuring that the performance appraisal system is maintained and operational; leading and coordinating the bi-annual performance appraisal process in liaison with all heads of departments, compiling performance appraisal reports for all employees and filing the reports.
6. Training & Development
- Developing annual staff training and development plan based on the needs identified in the performance appraisal and current trends that arise from time to time. Evaluating value for money for each training support given.
7. Compensation and benefits
- Advising on all matters relating to staff compensation and benefits including job grading, working conditions and welfare, monitoring labour market conditions locally and regionally and making appropriate recommendations to Management.
- Overall responsibility for ensuring that the Secretariat complies with local labor laws, employee relations and with respect to visas, work permits and entry permits. Keep abreast of changes in legislation, policy and practice
9. Employee Relations
- Ensuring that grievances, complaints and discipline are handled in accordance with laid down procedures and laws.
- Serving as Secretary to the Board of Trustees; preparing minutes; implementing decisions; preparing and ensuring processing of payments.
- Preparing the Programme of Work and Budget in relation to the Human Resources and Administrative Unit of the Secretariat.
- Ensuring the smooth running of the administrative functions related to office, management of service providers, office security, staff safety, AERC assets management among others.
- Undertake any other duties as may be assigned.
Qualification and Experience
- Master’s degree in Business Administration, or related discipline with specialization in human resources management.
- Post graduate Diploma in Human Resources Management.
- Professional accreditation or affiliation with recognized human resources management association.
- At least five years relevant experience.
Key Skills and Competencies
- Excellent people management skills
- Excellent knowledge of HR systems and processes
- Computer literate and familiarity with standard office software including databases
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent negotiation skills
- Excellent report writing and presentation skills
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Good team player and team leader
AERC offers a competitive remuneration and benefits package.
How to apply
Interested applicants are invited to visit AERC’s website at Opportunities – AERC (aercafrica.org) to view the detailed descriptions of duties and required qualifications. All applications must include a cover letter and a resume which has at least three referees which should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday 10th February 2023. All information will be in the strictest confidence.
Due to the expected volume of applications, Adelko Consulting will only enter further correspondence with short-listed candidates.
The AERC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.