Position: HR Officer
Location of activity: Nairobi, Kenya
Duration: 11 Months (From February 2023 to December 2023) with possibility of extension
Direct supervisor: Head of Support Service
Peace Winds Japan (PWJ) is a Japanese Non-Governmental Organization established in 1996. PWJ has been providing humanitarian and development assistance for people affected by forced displacement and natural disasters in more than 20 countries in the world.
PWJ launched its mission in Kenya in 2012 and has been implementing projects funded by UN agencies and the government of Japan in shelter, WASH and youth development to improve living environments of refugee and host populations while promoting peaceful coexistence and self-reliance in the communities in Dadaab, Kakuma and Kalobeyei.
In Turkana and Garissa Counties, PWJ is actively engaged in promoting sustainable solutions for protracted refugee situations through its WASH, shelter food security and livelihood projects in line with the National Government of Kenya as well as County Governments strategic plans. PWJ is assigned as an implementing partner for UNHCR responsible for WASH, Shelter and Supply chain supports for Dadaab Refugee Camp, Kakuma Refugee camp and Kalobeyei Integrated Settlement.
The country office in Nairobi supports the local office team to ensure quality and accountable operations on the ground, as well as overall operation management, co-ordination with partners and resource management including fund raising at the country level.
The position holder is responsible for giving advice on the transparent implementation of HR strategies, effective delivery of HR services and management of the HR for the entire PWJ Kenya operation in close collaboration with HR officers in the field offices. He/she assesses HR needs, interprets and applies HR strategy and policies, rules and regulations, establishes internal procedures and provides solutions to a wide spectrum of complex HR issues in liaison with the Head of Support Service. HR officer is expected to contribute to building a conducive working environment and maintaining staff morale so that the teams can deliver results.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITY
- Initiate competitive recruitment processes (from the review of job descriptions to the screening of candidates) and manage the process in a timely manner
- Coordinate with respective management and technical staff members for conducting recruitment and selection processes in line with the organization’s guidelines and policies, leading to the timely sourcing, selection and placement of the required talent.
- Prepares job offers for successful candidates and relaying feedback to an unsuccessful candidate
- Coordinate the on boarding process and ensure all newly recruited staff have a good understanding of organization’s values, approaches, policies, procedures, strategies and operations.
- Contribute in development of performance management process and tools
- Facilitate regular performance monitoring exercises among the teams in coordination with the head of support services and area managers
- Organize and facilitate trainings to embrace a performance management culture in the organization on need basis
HR Reporting and Advisory
- Provide advice and support to managers and staff on human resources related matters.
- Advocate for the best application of HR practices, staffing, development, and organizational planning and design.
- Review policies and procedures and recommend changes as required.
- Compile updates and HR Management reports.
- Periodically review organizational charts to ensure that they are up to date, reflect current staffing levels and payroll and conform to the PWJ policies.
Monthly payroll processing & Benefits
- Prepare the payroll and verify their accuracy on HR software in place.
- Prepare schedule and forward it to finance department for salary processing each month.
- Check the eligibility of the employees for salary advances and leaves
- Print the pay slips and filing them
- Prepare the quarterly tax returns declarations
- Ensure enrolling of new employees on the benefits such as medical insurance
- Lead in carrying out salary surveys ensure the organization remains competitive
Staff development support
- Identify and analyze staff development and career support needs and design programs to meet identified needs.
- Prepare monitoring reports on staff development and career support programmes based on performance development plan,
- Assesses training needs in liaison with the HR Manager and respective Line Managers
- Assist in identify training programs and programs for staff at all levels throughout the organization
- Input data for new staff on to the staff database-contract dates, statutory information-NSSF, NHIF, ID, Pin, job titles etc
- Maintain employee files by making sure all personnel files have the necessary documents-contracts, personal information form, performance appraisals, statutory documents, academic certificates, CVs etc
- Update the database to show the following information- end of contracts, terminations, promotions, salary changes, performance based annual increments.
- Maintain the leave/break database for all staff in collaboration with field HR/admins from the field
- Maintain records on contract expiry dates and flagging contracts that are due to expire 1 month prior to the end of contract.
- Maintain records of timesheets follow up duly signed copies of the timesheets is submitted on time by the field HR/admins
- Prepare and monitor the details of all staff contracts. Ensures all staff have valid employment contracts.
- Monitor annual leave, sick leave entitlements for all national staff. Works with all supervisors to ensure that they have a leave plan in place for their teams.
- Support in Organizational Development (Organizational Culture, Organizational Structures, HR systems review)
- Support change management, by providing advice on the implementation and monitoring of HR programs, and by advocating for the best application of HR practices.
- Advise and counsel staff in respect of rights, responsibilities, code of conduct and difficulties associated with work and entitlement.
Bachelor degree in Human Resources Management or a Bachelor’s degree in business administration and/or a Diploma in Human Resources Management/Business administration.
- 5 years relevant experience in a similar position or as a Human Resources Officer in a busy Organization.
- Microsoft Office packages application
- Membership certificate of recognized practitioner organizations such as Institute of Human Resources Management (IHRM) is added advantage
- Excellent knowledge of Kenyan labour legislations.
- Proven skills in conflict resolution.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Suite.
- Excellent interpersonal and negotiation skills.
- Excellent People Management skills.
- Demonstrable behavioral competencies including; Diversity, Proactive -Problem Solving, Stress Tolerance, Collaboration, Coaching, Developing Teams, Planning and Organizing, Managing Performance for Success and Delegating Responsibility
General obligation and tasks
- The Employer stipulates the right to assign the Employee any other kind of work derived from his/her specialization. In case of urgent work and such like the Employee may be asked to work overtime as well as during public and other holidays.
- Adhering to all PWJ’s policies and procedures at all times.
- Deliver project objectives within time, resource and budget constraints.
- Correctness and completeness of given tasks.
- The Employee takes over the responsibility for all entrusted material or cash. The Employee is obligated to cover all damages or losses caused by his carelessness.
- Prompt providing of all relevant information to his/her supervisor
- Maintain confidentiality of all information gained from employment within not publicly available.
- Representing and upholding the values of PWJ at all times.
- Behave in appropriate manners at all times and in all places.
- English: professional fluency
- Kiswahili: native/advanced
How to apply
We are looking to recruit Kenyan national candidates only. Interested and qualified candidates are cordially invited to send a cover letter (1 page) indicating motivation and salary expectation and resume (3 pages) as one pdf document no later than 3rd February 2023 to: firstname.lastname@example.org. When applying indicate the title this position: HR Officer_Nairobi on the Subject line. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and due to the urgency to fill this position, shortlisting and interviews will be conducted on rolling basis.