The IDLO Finance Department is an integral part of the country team that seeks to ensure financial integrity to realize and achieve a high level of transparency and accountability in the execution of various donors’ projects. The Finance Department places high value on producing accurate and auditable financial reports for all its stakeholders. The Finance Coordinator will be part of the IDLO Somalia Country Office based in Nairobi. The Finance Coordinator will report directly to the Finance & Administration Manager.
Accounting and Financial reporting
- Assist the Finance and Administration Manager in maintaining an overall accounting system for the Somalia Office in line with IDLO guidance and procedures, including but not limited to processing invoices and payments, maintaining bank accounts and financial records in the accounting system, ensuring timely reimbursement of travel expenses to IDLO staff members/experts.
- Ensure timely preparation and submission of all financial information, reports and documentation to the Finance and Administration Manager, including the monthly financial forecast and financial close of the Country Office (CO)
- Prepare monthly reconciliation reports and schedules (including advances), ensuring that all outstanding issues are addressed in a timely manner.
- Ensure CO balance sheet account reconciliations regularly, and that differences or discrepancies are addressed promptly.
- Responsible for entering data into the accounting system to facilitate payment processing, prepayments, payables, accruals, and other related accounting transactions.
- Review approved payments requests ensuring proper supporting documentation and compliance with IDLO policies and procedures and donor rules and regulations.
- Keep the Finance and Administration Manager updated regularly on developments and challenges in the financial reporting and implementation of the projects.
- Support the Finance and Administration Manager on audit-related exercises and ensure the auditors are provided with the necessary supporting documents in a timely manner.
Cash and Budget Management
- Review and consolidate monthly cash forecasts for the country office, ensuring funds are fully reconciled submitting to HQ for processing. This will include working with program staff to help them develop accurate cash forecasts.
- Ensure the bank account balances are monitored, and funds are available for pending payables.
- Ensure adequate controls on management and use of cash, including appropriate cash counts and periodic reconciliations.
- Support the Managers in liaising with the IDLO bankers for the country office, including acting as bank agent where so authorized.
- Ensure the allocation of costs in accordance with approved program budgets and IDLO chart of accounts and advise program colleagues on any adverse issues identified.
- Assist the Finance and Administration Manager in reviewing the monthly budget versus actual report and ensure compliance with IDLO Financial Procedures.
- Assist in preparing the Program-specific and annual budgets and assess financial plans and reports in coordination with the Finance and Administration Manager and relevant departments.
- Assist in sub-granting processes, monitoring, and management systems to ensure effective and timely issuance, and reporting of all sub-grants.
- Conduct, in close coordination with the Finance and Administration Manager, organizational assessments and regular spot checks assessing risks and quality of implementing partners’ internal processes.
- Review implementing partner’s reports and payment requests in accordance with sub-grant agreements to ensure reasonableness, and consistency with programmatic delivery and financial spending and submit findings to Finance and Administration Manager.
- Where needed provide coaching, guidance, and feedback to implementing partners to ensure proper financial management of sub-projects.
Filing financial documents
- Responsible for archiving accounting documents ensuring all transactions are arranged in an orderly and sequential manner, based on transaction numbers.
- Ensure that all electronic copies of all documents are shipped to HQ and maintained at the country office, filed electronically and in sequence.
- University degree in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting, or related field is essential.
- CPA-K/ACCA qualification will be an asset
- At least five years of finance and accounting experience working with international organizations.
- Experience working in Somalia and a good understanding of the context and networks are desirable
- Fluency in English
- Knowledge of the Somali is added advantage
Terms & Conditions
For this locally recruited position, IDLO shall offer the selected candidate an Affiliate contract of 12 months, with the possibility of extension subject to performance and availability of funding.
In addition, IDLO shall offer a yearly basic salary in the range of Kenya Shillings 3,776,902, medical insurance, and leave entitlements including in accordance with IDLO Employee Regulations and Rules.
This local position is open to candidates who are nationals of the duty station, or with permanent resident status or other legal authorization permitting them to work in the duty station. An employee subject to local recruitment shall not be eligible for the allowances or benefits exclusively applicable to international employees.
Applications will be screened on regular basis; a qualified applicant might be recruited before the deadline. In the interest of making the most effective use of resources, only short-listed candidates will be contacted during the selection process.
IDLO is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in all areas of its operations. We welcome applications of qualified and diverse candidates.
IDLO is committed to achieving a 50/50 gender balance at all levels within its workforce. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for IDLO vacancies.
IDLO does not tolerate sexual exploitation or abuse, any kind of harassment, including harassment of a sexual nature; or discrimination. As such, IDLO will conduct careful reference and background checks of all selected candidates as part of its selection process.
Application deadline: 1 February 2023 (23:59hrs Rome Time).
How to apply
Please make sure your application is completed online on the following link to be considered for the role: