Established in 1915 with Helen Keller as a founding trustee, Helen Keller International works to save the sight and lives of the most vulnerable and disadvantaged. Headquartered in New York City, Helen Keller Intl currently offers programs in 21 countries in Africa and Asia, as well as in the United States. The organization combats the causes and consequences of blindness and malnutrition by establishing programs based on evidence and research. In Kenya Helen Keller collaborates with the Ministry of Health in implementing health and nutrition projects that focus on strengthening health system and provision of vitamin A and deworming treatment to children 6-59 months in various counties.
The scope of Position
The Driver is responsible for providing support with regard to vehicle management, logistics and messenger services and driving staff as required. The post holder will support the Program Managers in ensuring smooth support of the program
Where: Kabarnet Town – Baringo with frequent travel to other counties
Level of responsibility: Reports to the Finance and Administration Officer. (This is a local position therefore No Relocation support will be required)
Objectives of the Position.
Vehicle Management and logistics:
- Manage vehicles with care and use them with respect. Drive HKI vehicles in a safe and secure manner in accordance with local law and the policies of HKI
- Ensure routine check-up of the vehicles; this include but not limited to oil, brake function, water, lights & tire condition, windshield wipers, etc.
- Assists with vehicle repairs when they break down by taking them to the garage or for service if necessary, and ensure they are in satisfactory condition
- Ensure all vehicles have valid insurance stickers on the windscreen
- Maintain a vehicle management process and database that includes vehicle logs sheets, and tracks mileage, fuel consumption, maintenance/repair management and costs, for each vehicle.
- Ensure that all Helen Keller staff meet required driving standards prior to them being able to drive Helen Keller vehicles.
- Confirm availability of vehicle tools and equipment before, during and after work; this include and not limited to the spare tires, tools and first aid kits.
- Ensure safety of the vehicle by packing at the designated areas/secure place with all doors and windows locked, keys kept safely
Driving staff to various destinations as required:
- Ensure that all passengers are always on safety belts
- Must drive vehicles safely and comfortably and must exercise defensive driving while on the road to prevent accident.
- Reckless driving shall be sufficient ground for the driver’s recall and consequently be a cause of disciplinary action.
- He/she shall adhere to Safety and Security regulations/SOPs including ensuring COVID 19 prevention measures are adhered to by the passengers
- Drive staff to various destinations as per the schedule
- Prepare and submit Monthly Vehicle performance reports
- Submit incidence reports promptly using standard templates
- Ensure all relevant vehicle documents/forms are duly filled e.g. incident forms, logbooks, transport waivers
- Collects and delivers mail at the Post Office, courier offices and other offices
- Delivers letters and documents to suppliers/service providers when required and ensure delivery books are accurately filled
- Assists in packaging and loading supplies or project materials to various destinations
- Support the Operations department on routine logistics tasks and requested
- Assists in any other duties assigned by his or her supervisors
- Certificate of Good Conduct
- Clean and valid driving license and good track record
- Good command of the English language
- Have completed Secondary school education.
- Computer skills and knowledge is required
- Defensive driving training is an added advantage
- Prior experience working with NGO
- At least 4 years accident-free driving.
- Fitness to work certificate and eye test.
- Driving experience within Baringo County will be an advantage
- Courtesy, tact, patience
- Excellent Driving skills
- Attention to detail
- Ability to prioritize requests
- Flexibility to take on a variety of tasks
- Commitment to Helen Keller Intl mission and core values.
How to apply
How to apply
Interested candidates to send their cover letter and curriculum vitae to email@example.com. The deadline of application is 29th March 2023
HELEN KELLER INTL.
- DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, TEST, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING).
- DOES NOT ASK FOR INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.
- DOES NOT RECRUIT THROUGH ANY RECRUITMENT AGENCY.
Equal Opportunity Employer
- We are an Equal Opportunity Employer where all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national or ethnic origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
- We are committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individual with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need to request an accommodation during the application or interview process, please contact us at the email above