Cohere particularly encourages candidates who have experienced forced displacement and who have experience in digital marketing and/or communications or a closely related field to apply.
Cohere is an international NGO of 50+ employees registered in Uganda, Kenya, and the United Kingdom that specialises in building holistic partnerships with Refugee-Led Organisations (RLO) in refugee-hosting areas. Currently, we operate in 5 different locations across East Africa and partner with more than 40 RLOs across the African continent. We support RLOs in strengthening their professional capacity, establishing social enterprises, and accessing resources to implement, sustain and scale out humanitarian response activities. With our RLO partners, we aim to support refugees to lead fulfilled and dignified lives and transform the humanitarian and development sectors towards more community-led responses.
In recent years, refugee-led organisations have finally received some recognition for the critical work they do as first responders to refugee crises as well as crises faced by the wider community, such as COVID-19, Ebola, and famine. RLOs are also key actors in promoting the integrated development of refugee-hosting areas all over the world. Recognition of their work, however, and the number of new RLOs emerging as key players and humanitarian actors have not been enough to shift meaningful humanitarian funding to RLOs. RLOs still receive less than 1% of the international aid allocated to refugee responses. By raising awareness of these challenges/issues through strategic messaging and storytelling we want to encourage audiences to consider a better way of working that is refugee-led, and therefore more effective, efficient and sustainable. We know we have a powerful message to share and we want to make sure that we are reaching audiences around the world so they can engage, support and take action to support us, and our partners, on our mission to a broken system. By transferring power, communities can be transformed.
Cohere is looking to recruit for the position of ‘Digital Marketing Manager’ in Kenya who will play an important role in helping us connect with new audiences and donors through our communications. We believe that we have an important message to tell and so many stories of how refugee-led organisations are leading change in their communities and we want to reach people who will work with us and support our, and our partners’, work.
The Digital Marketing Manager will work as part of the Communications team to develop a strategy to grow our online presence, improve our content and optimize our digital platforms, including our website, e-newsletter, our social media channels and our RLO platform, Reframe (www.reframe.network). Through targeted and strategic digital communications we want to showcase our work, deliver advocacy messages and fundraise for our work. We are looking for a creative, ambitious and skilled digital marketeer to join our team in 2023.
- Design and implement a digital marketing strategy for Cohere, including our Reframe platform with support from the Communications Director.
- Drive conversion amongst audiences to support Cohere’s work through campaigns, advocacy, and fundraising campaigns
- Manage digital platforms to grow audiences, optimize content and improve engagement on web and social pages.
- Creating content to publish on social and web platforms in collaboration with programme, MEAL, and advocacy teams
- Improve the usability, design, content, and conversion of the Cohere and Reframe website.
- Utilize a range of techniques including paid search, Email marketing, Google analytics, SEO, SEM, PPC, social media, and display advertising to increase reach and engagement.
- Utilise tools to build our online communities and keep them engaged in our stories and activities.
- Monitor and track the progress (traffic and reach) of digital platforms using digital tools and analysis. Guide on monitoring and evaluating the effectiveness of campaigns.
- Collaborate closely across teams to support content creation and distribution of news, research reports, impact, and information pieces.
- Responsible for planning and budgeting of digital marketing budget.
- Keeping up to date with emerging digital marketing trends to maximize the effectiveness of strategies
- Graduate or Postgraduate degree or equivalent in terms of experience in an RLO or CBO, in a field related to digital marketing and communications
- Proven progressive responsibility in a similar position.
- Proven experience in
- Developing and implementing digital marketing strategies
- Optimizing SEO and using Google Analytics to track and drive web traffic across websites
- Using online tools to monitor growth and report on progress to increase reach and improve engagement
- Creating social media and web content
- Managing social media platforms
- Using ads and promotions to increase online engagement and convert audiences to follow/donate/campaign/fundraise.
- Managing a digital marketing budget
- Excellent writing skills
- Ability to work diligently as part of busy team
- Strong interpersonal skills and empathy, particularly with regard to working with vulnerable people
- Willingness to travel within Uganda/Kenya and other countries if necessary
- Excellent knowledge of MS Office, Adobe Suite, Google Analytics, SEO tools.
- Reliability and self-reliance
- Strong critical and analytical thinking
- Motivation to cultivate and share knowledge
- Responsible and systematic work approach
- Enthusiasm and self-initiative
- Experience or strong understanding of challenges faced by refugees and other marginalised communities in East Africa.
- Experience in working in marketing for an RLO or refugee-led initiative or a CBO working on forced displacement.
- Notable initiative and ability to take ownership of projects, manage multiple deadlines, and work effectively independently and collaboratively in a team environment.
- Cultural competence and intelligence, ability to work well in a diverse, multicultural workforce.
- Exceptional willingness to ensure meaningful participation, inclusion, and engagement for all team members and external partners.
- Experience in working within a refugee context including challenging fieldwork conditions.
- Experience working with a diverse team of people from different backgrounds
What we offer
- Working in an international team of visionary and motivated individuals
- Opportunities for personal and professional growth
- Health insurance
- Participating in extensive national and international networks within the humanitarian and development sector
- 25 days of annual leave
- Opportunity to work remotely
How to apply
Please be sure that the application includes:
Please submit your application to email@example.com with “Digital Marketing Manager” in the email subject. Please note that only the CVs of short-listed candidates will be considered and therefore we ask you to include the most relevant information from your CV in the application form. Please respond specifically to the criteria outlined.
If you are interested in applying for more than one position advertised by Cohere, please do so separately following the instructions in the relevant job application.
The deadline for submitting the online form and your CV along with some relevant samples of work is 18th February 2023 at midnight (EAT) to firstname.lastname@example.org. As the selection of applicants will be conducted on a rolling basis, we encourage you to apply as soon as possible. For more information about our work please visit www.wearecohere.org
This is a secure form and your application will only be accessed by Cohere’s selection panel for this position and the Cohere Human Resources department.