The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an impartial, neutral and independent organisation with the exclusively humanitarian mission to protect the lives and dignity of victims of war and other forms of violence and provide them with assistance. It also endeavours to prevent suffering by promoting and strengthening International Humanitarian Law and universal humanitarian principles. The ICRC’s Regional Delegation in Nairobi is a hub that co-ordinates the institution’s humanitarian activities in Kenya, Tanzania and Djibouti and hosts the organizations’ regional logistics, technical and training support units serving the Horn and Great Lakes Region.
ICRC Nairobi Regional Delegation is seeking to appoint a talented and experienced Cyber Security Engineer, reporting to the Chief Information Security Officer (CISO), based in HQ, Geneva) and to the Head of ICT Region based in Nairobi.
The ICRC provides technology services to more than 15,000 employees globally, external partners and our beneficiaries. Protecting our digital operations from cyber-attacks is a core element of the institutional cyber security strategy.
As Cyber Security Engineer, you will play a key role tosupport the mission of managing the security of the ICRC information systems in AFRICA Region, according to institutional expectations and work closely with other cybersecurity experts and diverse teams of IT professionals worldwide. In addition, contribute to the overall delivery of the institutional cyber security strategy with knowledge, experience, technical expertise and situational awareness over the broad range of the cyber security domains.
We look forward to hearing from you to help support our humanitarian action worldwide.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Support the Security Operation Center coordinator and CISO function in the delivery of the overall ICRC cyber security strategy.
Cyber security incident response:
- Provide cyber security incident handling assistance to ICRC constituents and support teams
- Disseminate incident-related information to constituents and concerned parties via the given process, tooling and communication channels
- Appropriately preserve evidence from impacted computing environments
- Ensure containment, eradication and recovery tasks are appropriately performed
- Escalate unresolved, persistent or repetitive cases to SOC Coordinator
- Support operation of the global vulnerability management process
- Coordinate remediation activities
- Validate and verify remediation activities
- Escalate unresolved, persistent or repetitive vulnerabilities to SOC Coordinator
- Technical support for security local/regional projects, Feasibility Studies, Out of Catalog requests and other similar initiatives.
- On Demand security assessment in delegations.
- Local support during forensic activities.
- Point of contact for security questions at the regional level.
- Contribution to user awareness (communities/newsletter, cyber security events, etc.).
- Security dashboard follow-up and reporting.
- Enforcement (compliance with ICT security policies).
Minimum Requirements and competencies
- A University degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field (with major in security is an asset),
- Minimum 4 years of relevant professional experience related to enterprise IT security operations,
- Certification relevant to computer network defence such as SANS GIAC, CEH, Security+ and/or Offensive Security is an asset;
- Ability to manage workflows within dedicated case management and common service management tooling.
- Working knowledge with common desktop,server and mobile OS, container technology, databases and network administration/management.
- Working knowledge of OSI network stack including major IPv4/IPv6 protocols using TCP/UDP including SMTP, HTTP, DNS, SNMP, LDAP etc.
- Familiarity with core FOSS tools (e.g.: tcpdump, Wireshark) is an asset.
- Basic knowledge of core crypto solutions including AES, RSA, DH, SHA, Kerberos, NTLMv2, TLS, OpenSSL.
- Basic knowledge of enterprise security architecture and engineering, security frameworks (NIST, ISO, ENISA, etc.) and digital forensics.
- Solid sense of integrity, limits and understanding of the overall SOC organisation and wider mission.
- Ability to work in English (written and spoken). French and/or Spanish is an asset.
- Experience in technical security assessment
How to apply
The interested candidates should fill up a form by clicking the link below on or before 16th February 2023 at 4:30 pm then submit their CV, motivation letter, including references details, supporting documents (Certificates, Diplomas, Degree etc) and current and expected remuneration to ICRC Nairobi Delegation, HR Department via the email address provided below:
The reference Cyber Security Engineer must be stated in the application to be valid. If you do not fill out the required information as per the link provided or clearly state the position for which you are applying and attach the required certificates & other supporting documents, your application may not be considered. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Applicants must have the permanent right to work in Kenya.
ICRC does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process. All applications are free for all candidates and no one should require any payment or compensation during the recruitment process. May the candidate be asked for any fee, he/she must report to ICRC HR Department through the recruitment contact.
ICRC is committed to diversity and welcomes applications from qualified candidates regardless of disability, gender identity, marital or civil partnership status, race, colour or ethnic and national origins, religion or belief, or sexual orientation.
In processing your personal data for recruitment purposes, we follow the information notice as explained HERE.