The position is to be filled by June 1, 2023, with an initial contract duration of two years. There are very good prospects for an extension. Employment location will be Nairobi, Kenya.
As Country Director in Kenya you are responsible for managing the impact oriented Welthungerhilfe (WHH) country program. In doing so, you take into consideration the overall WHH strategy and mandate and ensure adherence to WHH quality standards. You will be responsible for a sound financial management of the allocated funds as well as for the acquisition of additional funding from private and institutional donors. This will require a professional and experienced management of structures and processes, strategic programming and human resource management. As team leader of the national and expatriate staff members, you are expected to take over responsibility for security management to assure the safety and security of your employees.
- Strengthen the humanitarian and development profile of WHH in country towards relevant stakeholders with the goal of making communities and households more resilient
- Further develop the Kenya country programme and continue to integrate new methods and approaches such as system thinking, nutrition in emergencies and advocacy aspects in line with WHH global strategy
- Diversify the funding basis of the country programme and including new, innovative institutional and private donors willing to support with longer term funding
- Forge and maintain strong relationships with other international and national organizations and continue to expand outreach through relevant meetings, workshops, and conferences
- Continue to identify strategically relevant partners (CSO, research, local government, international NGOs etc.) to be supportive in achieving programme objectives, identifying and integrating innovative approaches/methods and establishing a more diversified funding portfolio
- Willingness to support other country offices with the capacity of the Kenya program
- Willingness to support WHH communication/ media works globally and nationally and accompaniment of high ranking donor visits in country
- Willingness to work in an innovative and agile manner
- Contribute with the experience from the Kenya country programme to the learning objectives of the overall organization and Regional Directorate and create an enabling environment for the country team to actively exchange and learn from colleagues throughout the region
- A university or polytechnic degree in the fields of agricultural sciences, engineering, rural development, or a comparable level of qualifications
- At least 5 to 7 years project and management experience in carrying out co-financed projects of international (aid) agencies, preferably in the region
- Media representation experience is an asset
- Coordination and organisational skills – even under a high workload
- Ability to work in a multinational team
- Excellent communication skills and intercultural sensibility
- Readiness to receive necessary vaccinations for traveling to Welthungerhilfe’s programme countries
- A very good command of both written and spoken English, German language skills would be an asset
We offer you the opportunity to work in a responsible and interesting field as part of an extremely dedicated team. Welthungerhilfe attaches great importance to the personal and professional development of its employees and the balance of their work and private life. Remuneration is based on our gender-independent salary scale. In addition, Welthungerhilfe offers numerous other benefits, which are listed under “Our benefits”.
How to apply
Please send your application via our online recruiting system by February 22, 2023 by following this link. Your contact person is Nawid Ketabi. Welthungerhilfe is committed to fighting terrorism in all its activities. Accordingly, any applicant who is offered employment will be screened against lists of known and suspected terrorists.
*Welthungerhilfe values diversity and ensures an inclusive, non-discriminatory working environment. We welcome applications from suitably qualified people from all sections of the community.