Position: Area Manager
Workplace / location: Kakuma, Turkana County
Initial Contract Details: 1st of May, 2023, 8 months with possibility of extension.
Reporting to: Country Representative
About Peace Winds Japan
Peace Winds Japan (PWJ) is a Japanese Non-Governmental Organization established in 1996. PWJ has been providing humanitarian and development assistance for people affected by forced displacement and natural disasters in more than 20 countries in the world.
PWJ launched its mission in Kenya in 2012 and has been implementing projects funded by UN agencies and the government of Japan in shelter, WASH and youth development to improve living environments of refugee and host populations while promoting peaceful coexistence and self-reliance in the communities in Dadaab, Kakuma and Kalobeyei.
In Turkana County, PWJ is actively engaged in promoting sustainable solutions for protracted refugee situations through its shelter and WASH projects in line with the National Government of Kenya as well as County Governments strategic plans; clearly integrated in the Kalobeyei and Garissa Integrated Socio-Economic Development Programmes.
The Area Manager is responsible for the management of the Field Operation in the Turkana and West-Pokot Counties, Kenya. S/he is also responsible for the development, implementation and monitoring of area office annual program/project plans. The post holder will ensure effective management of programs, resources, staff and support functions in the field sites and will firmly institute finance, human resources and operations systems in line with organization performance expectations. The Area manager will provide oversight in implementing programs according to prevailing needs, identify new opportunities for programming, and will ensure field level participation in programme and proposal design. The Area Manager will also support the capacity development of staff in the field offices. The position holder will ensure the strengthening of the field level operational accountability by ensuring that proper risk mitigation measures and internal controls are put in place. S/he will be an effective representative of Peace Winds Japan to the government authorities, communities, UN and NGO partners, and other stakeholders.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
Strategic Planning, Development and Implementation
- Provide overall guidance and support to the field team in development of an area level annual operational plans, programme/project implementation and procurement plans and budgets, and their implementation.
- Lead the PWJ field team to deliver high quality programme through implementing WASH, shelter, food security and nutrition, livelihood and supply chain support projects in a timely manner.
- Support and monitor implementation of projects/programmes and ensure programmes/projects are being managed and implemented in a manner that will result in achievement of goals within set time frame and allocated resources.
- Lead the team to develop and implement strategies that reflect the humanitarian, development and peacebuilding nexus, sustainable solutions for protracted refugee situation including self-reliance and integration, diversity, equity and inclusion, and other organizational priorities.
- Monitor and guide the field teams in the implementation, monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning (MEAL) processes, budgets and audit recommendations.
- Map out funding gaps and support preparation and/or review of key funding proposals before they are submitted to the potential donors.
- Ensure scheduled design, monitoring and evaluation processes (assessments, designs, baseline surveys, evaluations, and outcome/impact level indicators measurement) are conducted and reports completed and approved
- Provide leadership to staff and communities in planning for and responding to emergencies and disasters, including having in place a field level disaster preparedness plans
- Develop area human resource development plan, and manage staff development/growth in order to build a cadre of high performing teams
- Identify skill gaps and suggest to HRM for capacity building
- Enhance team performance through sharing learning across the field teams
- Deal with unsatisfactory performance proactively, alerting supervisor of any poor performance which requires escalation
- Prepare clear staff individual performance plans & KPIs as per relevant job requirement
- Leading in building a motivated and high performing team which strives for success
Networking and advocacy
- Build strategic partnerships and networks at the area level and link it with national level strategic engagements
- Spearhead, coordinate and promote area level advocacy, lobbying and influencing initiatives
- Work with the MEAL department to document lessons and learnings from the regional programs and link with national level advocacy initiatives
Management of Operations and Standards
- Ensure that costs from grants are effectively recovered and all related costs under grants are charged in appropriate account lines
- Track project budget to ensure efficiency, timely and quality program investment, including full expenditure to 100% at the end of the projects with well planned spending throughout the project periods
- Ensure existence and compliance of controls for risk reduction and management and that the programme risk matrix is up-to-date
- Deliver cost effective programs and adhere to internal control systems as per operational manual and local policies
- Ensure the assets are used and managed appropriately
- Implement and monitor successfully project activities in terms of warehousing, fuel management, transport, workshop.
- Ensure all warehouse and workshop operations are conducted efficiently to optimize organizational resources
- Coordinate all logistics activities through regular meetings with the team and ensure the institution’s procedures are understood and strictly followed by the colleagues
- Disseminate ERP systems(NetSuite) to the relevant team members and ensure proper use for maximum output
- Fleet Management: Review the vehicle weekly/monthly reports, logbook-,trip-, and fuel records, monitors utilization, maintenance and fuel consumption and carry out monthly fuel and maintenance spend analysis
Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- The applicant must hold a Bachelor’s degree in any development related field (social sciences, development studies, business management, public health, etc.). Master’s degree is an added advantage
- At least 5 years of proven program management experience in field-based humanitarian and/or development settings or in the private sector, including at least 2 years in WASH sector
- Proven experience in team management
- Significant understanding and experience in project cycle management especially on the participatory approach and result based project management
- Significant experience on budget, grants and financial management as well as logistics management
- Experience with managing partnerships with UN agencies. Working experience in similar UNHCR project is of added advantage.
- Practical understanding of sustainable WASH programing in the context of humanitarian and development nexus
- PSEA(Prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse) training certificate
- Ability to quickly develop good insight and understanding of the conflict, the human rights situation and the political environment
- Excellent analytical and strategic thinking skill, with proven ability to create and utilize qualitative and quantitative analyses in organizational planning;
- Strong report writing skills;
- Multi-tasking, organizational, and prioritization skills;
- Ability to live and work closely with a diverse team of individuals in a highly intense and fluid work and security environment;
- Capacity to spark innovative approaches to programming and to inspire groups to collaborate closely to implement high-quality programs;
- Ability to navigate complex situations with diplomacy;
- Ability to manage ambiguity, frustration and stress in self and others;
- Confident and decisive leadership;
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members;
- Demonstrated experience and ability to professionally and appropriately represent the organization and negotiate and defend PWJ’s interests with a diverse range of government officials, local organizations and other groups.
- Significant experience on budget, grants and financial management
- Excellent people manager with good team-building skills and proven record of managing and developing teams of professionals, including those in dispersed/distant locations
How to apply
We are looking to recruit national candidates only. Interested and qualified candidates are cordially invited to send a cover letter (1 page) and resume (3 pages) as one pdf document. not later than 20th February, 2023 to: email@example.com. In your cover letter please reflect on your motivation for taking this post and indicate your expecting salary range. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted